Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my name is greg
maybe I should have started with an introduction before I started posting flies.
I am a fishing bum.
I live right between tippy dam & spirit of the woods on bear creek in brethren Michigan
I am by no means a great steelhead fly fisherman.
I do not fish the people runs, bedding fish or salmon.
I have done all that in the past.
here is how my year as a fly fisherman goes
sometime in late april early may I begin hucking very large streamers for brown trout in areas & rivers completely away from shallow water spawning steelhead & the crowd that fish them.
june I start to cast for steelhead.
last year I took up the spey rod.
I fish till sept 1st or so until im pushed out by the early run of snaggers.
that being said im a skamanian steelhead fly fisherman.
some years I fish nov-dec with a fly rod but it depends on the crowd around me.
the other thing you might want to know is about my flies.
I love big flies.
I love the crash n burn grab of an angry fish.
I fish & tie outside of the box or completely wrong depending on how you want to look at it.

I love the flies on this site.
I want to be a spey fisherman & cant wait for this summers swing.

thank you for your time & your flies

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Great introduction Greg.. and what a fantastic place to call home. You are fortunate.

This site is the axis for all things spey on the interwebs.. a great resource filled with generous people of passion. You should fit right in.

Looking fwd to your postings.. B

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Good to have you along - looking forward to more postings from you.
I've just only begun exploring the GL region. I hail from the Great Pacific Northwest where one can still find an entire stream to one's self.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Welcome, Greg! Enjoying the couple of ties you posted- looking forward to more.

I don't care for the crowds myself, but around here, it's tough to find a lonely stretch of water.

Again, welcome aboard,

-Bill

·
Registered
254 Posts
I will let you know when I may be up their, have fished it primarily in the spring. Next week looks possible with our warmup, will try get to a SW michigan river for some winter swinging.
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
deep swing
not many fish below tippy at all since summer.
the guides i know are still catching fish down river from boats but it has slowed down to a crawl.
water is low & cold. the dam maybe having icing troubles because we get high spikes 1 day bare basement the next.
good luck where ever you try

·
SHUT UP & FISH!
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hardy
I posted an album on my profile here of the flies that caught all my fish last summer plus another album with the 11 fish I got.
the flies I posted recently are 2 flash flies which are totally my style then 2 wet/soft hackle flies to try as back ups

1 - 14 of 14 Posts