Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a problem with a shooting line that I used on my last nz trip for a week, the coating was rough and the gsp core seems to be almost through the coating in spots.
Contacted the manufacturer and the only reply i got was they to had rough lines in their stock pile and that i should, as they will to with theirs, bin it and they will send a new shooting line (and even bonus extra one for my troubles....that was over 2 months ago now and still nothing has shown up.......anyone had similar probs with this type of running line and consequently the manufacturer?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This is sad to hear/read.

Manufacturer makes two thousand in a run and 'one' goes south (as in this case). There should be 'no questions asked' as to replacing same. I can see the manufacturer wanting the line for a 'post mortom' but a new line should go out ASAP.

You can easily drop a hundred dollar bill for a single hander line, fifty percent more for some 2handers. With that kind of money there are 'reasonable expectations.' That the line/rod will be a good match ... unfortunately ... is not one of them. Sigh .....:(

Just my .02 cents.

But all that aside ... have you run an woman's old nylon sock through all the guides to assure you don't have a bad one? One of those can chew up a line PDQ.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Manufacturer makes two thousand in a run and 'one' goes south (as in this case). There should be 'no questions asked' as to replacing same. I can see the manufacturer wanting the line for a 'post mortom' but a new line should go out ASAP.

You can easily drop a hundred dollar bill for a single hander line, fifty percent more for some 2handers. With that kind of money there are 'reasonable expectations.' That the line/rod will be a good match ... unfortunately ... is not one of them. Sigh .....:(

Just my .02 cents.

But all that aside ... have you run an woman's old nylon sock through all the guides to assure you don't have a bad one? One of those can chew up a line PDQ.
Well said.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i checked my guides, that was actually my first thought when i noticed it getting worse.
I agree with the 1000's of runs and one bad line bit....but It spun me out when the reply came back with "we to have found all our .024 running lines to be rough....." how has this passed quality control?! Do they have quality control? Clearly it wasn't just one bad seed in amongst the thousand or so run.
Yea...monic.

G

·
Since the same GSP core is used in all the sizes of that running line, the problem is the coating on the 0.024 is just too thin and the edges of the braid are not covered up sufficiently. I think if you move up to the 0.030 version you'll have far fewer problems, though that might be heavier than what you'd want in New Zealand. I've used the 0.030 for quite a few years and really like it and have not, as yet, had any problems with it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, thats what they said they were going to send me as a 'sorry for the hassle' type apology, happy to use it if only they would send it out.....

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The .030 that is

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This is bad news.

Yea i checked my guides, that was actually my first thought when i noticed it getting worse.
I agree with the 1000's of runs and one bad line bit....but It spun me out when the reply came back with "we to have found all our .024 running lines to be rough....." how has this passed quality control?! Do they have quality control? Clearly it wasn't just one bad seed in amongst the thousand or so run.
Yea...monic.
If you know you're selling a shooting line (or what ever line) is a 'clinker' coming right off the machine it should be 'Stop the Presses' until they get it sorted. The first post caught my attention, the 'Same problem' from 12,000 miles a way REALLY CAUGHT MY ATTENTION.

I'm going to post up this link to a major UK based fly fishing board and ask if anyone else has had an issue.

Fred

Edit: Here's the link to the UK board: http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/viewpoi...roblems-monic-shooting-lines.html#post1889717

Excellent board, especially if you fish with 1handers. I've learned a heck of a lot that was directly transferable to a spey.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since the same GSP core is used in all the sizes of that running line, the problem is the coating on the 0.024 is just too thin and the edges of the braid are not covered up sufficiently. I think if you move up to the 0.030 version you'll have far fewer problems, though that might be heavier than what you'd want in New Zealand. I've used the 0.030 for quite a few years and really like it and have not, as yet, had any problems with it.
I have had the same problems with the .030. I have one spool no problems next spool completely different. With all that said I really like the running lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts