Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
caddisfly4
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the minimum length (yardage) and pound test backing required to chase steelhead and atlantic salmon? I fish the Salmon River in NY for steelhead and will be going to Margaree River in Nova Scotia for atlantics. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I'm in Idaho on the Clearwater. 150yds of 30# is nice but 100yds will get it done here even on the "B" runs.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I too believe that 150 yards would be a good minimum for Atlantics and GL trib steelhead. When I first started fishing for Atlantics, I used 20 lb. Micon backing without any problems. Once I started fishing for steelhead, I switched to 30 lb. backing which I feel is better for fishing the GL tribs where the chance of abrasion is greater than on the Atlantic salmon rivers I fish.

J

·
0 Posts
Some of it depends upon which rivers you're fishing. There are a few Atlantic salmon rivers where I wouldn't venture without at least 200yds of backing. The Restigouche and Grand Cascapedia are two of them. I had a 28lb Atlantic take out 250yds of backing on the Restigouche. That's more than any 10+lb bonefish has ever taken on me. Get a fresh fish in the current in early June and it's hard to predict what can happen. By the same token, I've never had more than about 50yds of backing out when fishing the GL tribs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts