Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sorry horible English
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i`m usualy use cortland micon becaus its easy to splice(i hope the right word for making un knotted loops).
are there over see thiner backings on the market that olso may be spliced? spezialy 30lbs+
thanks
gretings from germany
ben

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Benjamin

I usually attach mine with loops, and the loop in the backing is large enough to pass the reel through. That makes it easier to change things, especially if you do not have a line winder handy.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Gsp...

hello,
i`m usualy use cortland micon becaus its easy to splice(i hope the right word for making un knotted loops).
are there over see thiner backings on the market that olso may be spliced? spezialy 30lbs+
thanks
gretings from germany
ben
The thinner backing line is GSP (gel-spun polyethylene) which is not truly braided, it is fine multi-filament line which has been 'spun' and, I think, partially heat bonded to prevent the multi-filament nature becoming fluffed out. It is not suited to standard splicing, partly because of its slick surface, and that it is not the standard braid like dacron.

This has been discussed elsewhere here on this board, and a search for GSP or Gel spun will get you to the different methods being used.

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Loops...

Hallo,
how do you usualy atach backing too running line?
thanks
ben
are definitely the way I use for backing to running line.

Mike

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Hallo,
how do you usualy atach backing too running line?
thanks
ben
I prefer to strip the pvc coating off the running line to expose the braided core. I then splice the running liine to my backing. I use 30# braided dacron. If I am going to be changing lines, I do a loop to loop connection. Same proceedure. Just splice the loops into your line(s). Making the loop in the backing large enough to pass a spooled line through.

·
Sorry horible English
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hallo,
thanks for the answers.
So if i like a backing 30lbs+ GSp seems the way to go thanks
benjamin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts