Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I've been using back-to-back TieFast knots, 4 turn OPST/5 turn backing, pulled REAL tight. Seems to work OK, but hasn't been tested by a King yet. I'm interested to hear what others are using.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Backing to OPST

I tried power pro/dacron with a triple surgeon/blood knot to the OPST Lazar and resulted in poor knots. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Uni Knot!

I have always used the uni knot (duncan loop) in this application without a problem. I have two reels with the OPST backing on them.

Mark

·
Registered
124 Posts
I put triple surgeons in both ends of the 25 and 40 that I picked up and smoothed out the edges with some loon knot sense. No problems to report so far

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had they're recommended triple surgeons snap at the knot and lose the entire line. I now tie a 12 turn Bimini. It adds some shock absorbtion. But I wrap the tag end so the loop doesn't end up twisted. It goes through the guides just fine. Even before I coat it with UV cure. Jerry French thought that was a cool idea. So far so good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One thing I've been using that also works with the Rio Grip Shooters is a Double Nail Knot... Basically Nail Knot each end to the other and pull tight...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ed's video is a good loop knot for attaching the OPST skagit head to the shooting line, using the same knot at the other end would be fine also, you would put a bimini twist loop in your backing and create a loop to loop connection.
Or you could use a knot like the slim beauty or fishermans knot to join your backing to the OPST lazer line (this line ties awesome knots), I use the later, very very strong knot, used in deep water jigging and heavy popping for gt's etc, snugs down super small and slim, can use glue if you like but if you form it slowly and properly it doesnt budge.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've tried many different knots to create loops in gelspun material. The only one that gives me an unbreakable knot that is slim is to take a piece of 30# dacron and run the gelspun through the middle of it (I use a bobbin threader) and then tie a triple surgeon knot. trim the end neatly and apply your favorite pliable sealant to keep the ends from fraying. I can put my foot through the loop and can't break the knot. I use 50# gelspun.

Quinn

·
Registered
831 Posts
I like this running line , I use a triple surgeon on both ends , never broke one off yet

·
Registered
538 Posts
Double Surgeons with 30# Dacron sheath over Lazer line

With the use of 25# and 30# Lazer line and Rio Slick Shooter I have found the loop on the shooting head takes a beating with the thin mono cutting into it. I have tested using a loop of Dacron sheath using a bobbin to thread over the shooting line and tying a double Surgeons around both to make the loop. Clean up the excess and used a light coating of Knot Sence to make the knot slide easily through the guides. I did 4 break tests on this loop and found in all tests the line broke before the loop or knot. It seems the Lazer line bites into the braided Dacron to lock the knot well. Should I be concerned using only a double Surgeons with this loop? A triple is a bit too bulky and will not reduce in size with pulling it tight as it will when spicing a triple into the line itself as Ed demonstrates in his video.

I have used a triple Surgeons on the loop when using the 30# Dacron as a sheath on 30#,50# and 65#Gelspun and it works very well to prevent the Gel spun from cutting into the running line. I considered using 80# Hollow Ace as a sheath over Gel spun but both of these lines are pretty thin and slick. The durability of the Hollow Ace may not be as good as Dacron from a chaffing point of view.

Any comments on this?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A good idea with the Dacron loops over the mono, could also use guedebrod, hollow braided mono that you typically build spliced on loops for fly lines, except you would do the same as you have for the Dacron, make it a sleeve for the loop, very durable material, iv had some loops that are still going strong after 10 years on my salt water outfits.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks Ozswitch,

I found this Cortland braided Mono:

Cortland Braided Mono: Stripping Baskets, Saltwater Reels, Rods and Flies for Fly Fishing | Sea Level Flyfishing

A double Surgeon over the Lazer Line and the Mono Sheath would be ok?

Would this work well over Gel Spun as well ? 30pound OK?

A good idea with the Dacron loops over the mono, could also use guedebrod, hollow braided mono that you typically build spliced on loops for fly lines, except you would do the same as you have for the Dacron, make it a sleeve for the loop, very durable material, iv had some loops that are still going strong after 10 years on my salt water outfits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts