Spey Pages banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I meant the waddington shanks. It’s a thicke
For a lot of years I used wire but guys were coming back with flies where the wire was kinked from getting hooked by a fish or bottom ruining the fly from further use. On advice from a couple guides I settled on the same solution as Yooper but use 20lb Chameleon Maxima. Since it is doubled it is plenty strong. When attaching it to the shank I run it all the way through the eye and back a half inch and put good solid wraps on it and it will never come loose.

But, For the benefit of ease of changing hooks and placement of the hook (therefore the solution of having the hook too far back for the safety of the fish) I'd consider suggesting to you to tie that good looking pattern on tubes. It's a good looking fly! Good work.
I may try the chameleon out. Stays straight out eh??

Reactions: johnnymaltby

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’ve tied lots of flies with retired slick shooter. Similar to wire, and I just double it over and add some glue. My preference is wire, but running line works too.
Fish don’t seem to mind and I’ve never had one come undone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For a lot of years I used wire but guys were coming back with flies where the wire was kinked from getting hooked by a fish or bottom ruining the fly from further use. On advice from a couple guides I settled on the same solution as Yooper but use 20lb Chameleon Maxima. Since it is doubled it is plenty strong. When attaching it to the shank I run it all the way through the eye and back a half inch and put good solid wraps on it and it will never come loose.

But, For the benefit of ease of changing hooks and placement of the hook (therefore the solution of having the hook too far back for the safety of the fish) I'd consider suggesting to you to tie that good looking pattern on tubes. It's a good looking fly! Good work.
I have never heard of a tube being safer for the fish but if it's better for C&R I am all for it. Looking around on the internet I see mostly info on increased hookups with tubes. Are they safer for fish because you can just slide the fly up and then take the hook out?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I have never heard of a tube being safer for the fish but if it's better for C&R I am all for it. Looking around on the internet I see mostly info on increased hookups with tubes. Are they safer for fish because you can just slide the fly up and then take the hook out?
When I suggested being safer for fish I am referring to the tendency of store bought shank flies having the hook too far back from the fly and a grab from the fish will take it in too far down the throat. Several guides in BC that I have a lot of confidence in started seeing this a few years ago and encourage their clients to use tube flies and encourage them to have the hooks positioned on the fly so that it is not hanging back to far.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts