Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Curious about your experience with how much 30# backing for the following 2 reels.

Hardy St John w 35# opst lazer line and a 480 scandi

1950s 3 3/4 widespool Hardy Perfect w 40# opst lazer line and 570 skagit compact?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I've got nothing on the St John, but I've got 200 yds 30lb Dacron, 130 ft of 40 lb catfish, and room for any line from a 570 zone, to a 63 ft Galeforce on my 3 3/4 Perfect.

·
Registered
571 Posts
On the St. John I wouldn't think more than about a hundred 30 lb. or so with the Lazer and the scandi--that's my guess. With that setup I'd use 50lb. gel spun to get to where I'd want to be, but depends on what you're anticipating. Perhaps others might have another view.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've got gel-spun on my St. John b/c I couldn't get enough 30lb dacron to feel safe. Don't remember how much is on there, but enough.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would like to suggest 'Choosing a Spey Reel'. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you two files that will answer your question and prepare you for other reel purchases.

Doug

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Another solution might be using the Hatch backing. It's what I have on my old 3 1/2 Perfect and a St John. It is the diameter of 20 lb Dacron and has a strength of about 60 lbs. Could be that you don't want it to be that strong but it's diameter is such that I think I have a good 200 yards on my Perfect. And it's material is inert and will not degrade over time as dacron might. It is expensive though but maybe it's an option for ya.

·
@_ctbooth
74 Posts
On my St. John I think I've got 125yrds 30# and it fits 420gr scandi or 480gr skagit lines. Hatch is nice but spendy. Gel Spun is too slick for my liking and has been known to cut fingers. Food for thought- An old timer I fish with uses strictly 20# dacron with zero worries, and has landed more 20lb+ steelhead than I'll manage in 5 lifetimes...

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
White Scientific Anglers 30lb dacron is significantly smaller diameter than other brands.. especially colored ones. Enough so to make notable difference.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have St John spools with 200 yd of 20# dacron along with 120' short head Spey lines in 6 wt, or 150 yd of 30# dacron and 120' integrated Skagit lines with a 400 grain Skagit head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts