Spey Pages banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another thing I learned now that my foot is healing up and I'm getting out with the new spey rod. I was working a left bank on the Klickitat with a little downwind breeze. My little booklet that came with the Windcutter line told me to use a left hand double spey in this situation. I can do OK left handed. Back in college, I broke my right forearm and took the rest of the summer off on Workman's Comp, cruising around Washington state fly fishing left handed. But I found it wasn't so difficult double speying on the left bank with my right hand up. The forward cast is kind of a backhand cast.

A double spey is always easier for me when using a sink tip. It seems to be better able to cast out a sink tip that is that didn't come up enough in the sweep and on the other hand can still cast a tip that was swept maybe a little too far upstream. Getting a good sweep for a single spey with a sink tip has been the hardest for me. It's such a delicate balance between a sweep that doesn't bring the sinktip to the surface and it stays stuck downstream, and a sweep where the tip suddenly breaks loose and the flexed rod tip flings the line too far upstream.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts