Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep tinkering with color blending on my skater. I found some baby blue Globrite floss at my local fly shop a few weeks ago and kept messing with color combos to get it to pop just right. I think I may have finally came up with a color blend incorporating the baby blue floss with just the right contrast between the colors that highlights the floss nicely.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,122 Posts
I agree Todd, this combination of colours draws lots of attention to the baby blue floss, nice work !!
Have you tried a bright green and bright yellow combination with the baby blue ?? Or does it not lend itself to much contrast ?? Sometimes product colours when pair with primary colours blend to well and do not offer enough contrast.

Love your skaters Todd !!

Mike

·
Registered
757 Posts
Very nice. I always like blue, but have to say that your purple one with the green butt is my favorite because the colors match one of my favorite wet flies - the Green Butt Lum Plum. I still need to try tying one of your skaters and posting both. May be able to get to it next week.

Mark

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hey Pard,

If you make your design any more effective none of the fish in the river will have a chance!

Have a heart, man!!!

(Beautiful work! I love the throat and the blue-flash in the wings, as well.)

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
looking super Todd. I chugged one of your bugs yesterday, it looked great but I want my money back, no fish. Oh wait, Ill settle for the coffee mug. Lets Upmqua?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback guys. This was an example of finding a material I liked, in this case the baby blue floss, and building the rest of the fly around it. It seems the color combos that I can use in this pattern is endless, but I'll try to stop boring you guys with all these different color combos on the the same fly! I'm trying to settle on some "standard" color combos that I like most and then tying more. Seems I'll be selling some of them and of course I like to keep plenty on hand anyway!!!

Rifflehitch: thanks for the compliment. These colors do stand out, definitely not something steelhead see in nature very often!

Mike: I did try bright green for the butt and it did seem to blend too closely for my eye. Haven't tried bright yellow.. yet, might have to. thanks for your suggestions.

Mark: I hear ya, I love that purple/green butt version as well, can't go wrong combining those colors.

Keith: thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, nothing has been effective for me lately, maybe this fly may change that!! Wished I was like you, every new, original fly you create instantly gets you fish - what's the latest, the "Finegan"??

Tim: Thanks for your feedback and glad you like the color combo. this fly is definitely more "sparkle/disco" than natural, that's for sure!!

Kevin: thanks, but you wished you could tie foam like this when you can do all those other spectacular things with the flies you tie?!?! It would seem that lashing down foam is a lot less technical than married wings or all those other skills you magically pull off.

Matt: i'd gladly give you money back if I had any money to give!! Yes, lets do the NU sometime. I'll either get your coffee cup back then or mail it to you with a couple skaters for taking it hostage since October.

Back to tying more skaters!!

Todd

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
1. Foam is just as difficult for me as mounting a married wing, you are a magician with the stuff!

2. Don't mail the cup to Matt, mail it to ME WITH SOME SKATERS, that way I have some skaters and I can hold his cup hostage for a couple of his flees! If you ask me its a win win, okay maybe I just win but i Like it!

Great work Todd, these things are stupid nice!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Josh:
You're cracking me up. Your comments on this thread putting married wings and tying foam in the same sentence, funny stuff. Appreciate your kind feedback and glad you like my skaters.

I'll get some flies and Matt's coffee cup sent over soon. Getting through my Honda transmission replacement, then will tie some. Obviously, I'm taking another break from the mechanical work, time for lunch!

Brett:
Thanks for your kind remarks. Coming down to the NU soon??

Todd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts