Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just patiently waiting for this all to blow over. In the mean time getting ready with some B&W Troutspeys.

All created with specific rivers in mind. Cedar, Yakima, Deschutes, Skagit and maybe Upper Columbia trout beware! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Troutspeys...

Beautiful rods!! How does a 15’6 5-6wt cast? And what line would you use on such a rod? I’ve never seen a trout rod of that size before!
I wonder how this rod compares to the 17' Walker Light Line Series rod, a 6-7wt, I worked on with Gene Oswald and Brian Potter at B&W three/four years ago. That rod was designed for long belly lines under 500 grains with long mono leaders and small flies...casts a 5-6 or 6-7 SA XLT beautifully. I had in mind large trout and smaller steelhead out of Lake Michigan as the target species. Maybe the 15'6" has some of the LLS rod's genes in it...
Perhaps Gene will see this and weigh in on the conversation.

Best to all,
Tom

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did get a chance to dial in some lines for that 12'6" 4/5wt. It really liked the WA35 330gr at 30ft w/floating tip and 15ft of leader. So much so I think for me this will be the line of choice for it.

Other lines were the Coastal F1 325gr with 10ft of S4 and S6. A touch clunky so I think the 330gr would probably work better. Wanted to try some Zones on it as well but forgot to bring them! However I'm sure Zones in the 300-375gr range would also work.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well,

While we're on the topic, here's another. Tough light to capture the blank color; it's actually a dark olive/emerald green, as are the wraps. We can add Methow River trouts to the "beware" list.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Most Definitely!

Spend a week every summer up at Sun Mtn with the family. Unfortunately have only fished the Met a handful of times as most time spent doing other activities. Hopefully this year...with my new arsenal!
Let me know. Don't need much of an excuse to drop one of the boats into the river. Maybe even entice Gene and Marcy to come over.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Storybook,

After hearing about the 12'6" rod, and how well it liked the WA35 - 330, I told Gene that I was going to be strong, hold my cash, and wait till the smoke clears. That literally lasted about 90 minutes....not bad. I'm even stronger than my wife gives me credit for being.

Now to finish choosing colors. Gene sent me more pictures of yours and that thing is gorgeous!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Storybook,

After hearing about the 12'6" rod, and how well it liked the WA35 - 330, I told Gene that I was going to be strong, hold my cash, and wait till the smoke clears. That literally lasted about 90 minutes....not bad. I'm even stronger than my wife gives me credit for being.

Now to finish choosing colors. Gene sent me more pictures of yours and that thing is gorgeous!
Let me know what you come up with? If you need help I'll have my girls give you some ideas. They've color coordinated my last dozen or so. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Had a brief, rain soaked test session yesterday with the 11'4" rod. All I can say is a single hand DT7 might make for some interesting, "alternative" techniques....like very effectively fishing dry flies or dropper combos upstream with surprisingly delicate presentations. Relaxed and easy overhead casting in addition to spey casts, MUCH line mending capability, etc. More testing required. Might have to dedicate a spool to a DT this summer.

·
Hacker
697 Posts
I have been fishing the 11'4" #3 all summer on cutthroat streams in N ID. Gene told me that the 270gr spey lite was a good match so started with that and have not looked back. Also using a 10' airflo poly. Cannot say enough about the rod, it is perfect for what I wanted it for and 12 to 16" cutthroat give it a nice bend. Very easy to cast and capable of more distance than I will ever need on the rivers I fish. . It has been my favorite rod all summer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts