Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
B&W Powerlite Speycaster 15' 7-9 vs Meiser Classic 15' 7-9 vs CND Blueback 15'6'' 8-9

Hi there,
I'm lookinng for a long light rod and looking at the B&W Powerlite Speycaster 15' 7-9, Meiser Classic 15' 7-9 and CND Blueback 15'6'' 8-9-10. I'm going to use them with longer shooting heads and short/medium spey lines. Is Blueback really one line heavier than B&W and Meiser? Any inputs on them would be appreciated , the action, grain window, physical weight etc.
Tomas

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i will share some of my experience with heavier B&W and Meiser.
I have an old B&W Powerlite Speycaster 15' 0#10 Ghillie, and had a chance to compare it with Meiser Classic 15' 9-11. What can I say that both of them are fantastic, B&W is heavier in the hand with stiffer tip and it likes to be pushed hard, and looks like there are no limits for it, you can hit the skys with it, everything is limited only by the casters skills. Meiser is lighter in the hand, with the softer tip, very easy to cast too, but just to some point. To go further I had to sweat a litle bit more, to push myself harder.

I was using:
Nextcast WA45 10/11 - It was just perfect for both rods
Partridge Ian Gordon Medium head 75' 10/11 - was better on Meiser for my taste.
CND GPS 11/12 only on B&W - and it was just fine, maybe on the heavier side, but I would not put that line on the Meiser 15 9-11.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Tomkis.

I have no experience with the CND either so I cannot speak to that. I do have time with the B&W and the Classic tho. If you enjoy the stronger tip and deeper load of the B&W, and the lightness and sweetness of the Highlander. Try to get your hands on a 15' Meiser 8/9 MKS which I feel blends all of those attributes very well and is a very, very nice rod to fish. You can take it easy on the rod just like the Classic or you can adjust your stroke and push it hard like the B&W, equally at home with 75' lines as it is with shooting heads, a little heavier than the Classic with a good strong tip, to me the MKS holds the line load a little bit longer than the B&W and can be bossed around easier than the Classic. The MKS takes more grains than the Classic, similar to the B&W tho the B&W would probably handle more then the MKS.

All are excellent rods, as are the CND rods I have cast. You have your work cut out for you!

James

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I own the Powerlite 15' 7-9 and Highlander 15' 6/8. Therefore it's not exactly a fair comparison but I'm pretty sure the Highlander 7/9 shows very similar characteristics as it's lighter sibling. I used to own a lighter CND Solstice.

Your experience with the heavier rods is exactly how I would describe the difference between the rods. I also own a 16' Powerlite 9/10 and 15' Powerlite 4x4 10wt. Physically the BW are heavier.

I have not cast the 15' MKS so James' insights are noted. I do own a 13'6" 7/8MKS.

I fish sinktips a lot so I find I pick up my 7-9 Powerlite 100% of the time when I'm fishing locally. Since the Highlander is a 4 piece I take that when travelling. That said, I like the Powerlite so much I've bought a travel tube for it and will take it travelling this year.

On all these longer rods I use the CND GPS lines. The 7-9 will handle the 7/8, 8/9 and 9/10 lines, however the best match for my liking is the 8/9. Interestingly I also use the 8/9 on the lighter Meiser 6/8, however the 7/8 would probably be a better match. I didn't have a 7/8 GPS until this winter (thanks Montanafos!).

In short, both great rods but I know which one I'd buy if I could only afford one. The only downside I'm finding with the 7-9 Powerlite is that it's not as fun to fight fish with it since it's a more powerful rod. I need to hook bigger fish! :chuckle:

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Tomkis are you refering to the CND black spey? Has a dark bueish black color to the blank.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
CND had the Blueback come out in 2011 or 2012. Kinda expensive if I remember correctly. Don't think it came out in the states. Kush would know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your inputs, gents!
Yes, I like the rods with stiff tips, and I like my B&W Powerlite Speycastrer 15' #10 very much. I own two Meisers S, both 14' #7 and #8, and they are superb rods too, not tipy at all. I have custom build CTS Skagit 13'6 #8/9 and it's fantastic, I build it 7 or 8 years ago and it changed my understanding in spey casting. It was my first serious rod after so many "asian made tipy Scandinavian sticks".
Then I bought MKS 13'6 #8/9 expecting it will be very similar to my CTS Skagit, I wanted to have similar rod build my Master, but the rod didn't perform in the way I wanted, so I kind of aware of MKS now.
I'm almost in B&W Powerlite Speycaster 15' #7-9, just wanted to hear some good words about it, to be sure it keeps the action similar to its big brother, and I hope it's still has fast recovery, is crispy, has a stiff tip, doesn't fell soft considering that it's long and light one :)

Rifflehitch, CND Blueback is one of the latest models from Nobuo Nodera http://www.morinoie-brook.com/shop/fly/rod/cnd/i_spey.html
As I know they replaced Solstice line of rods and are primary designed for longer spey lines

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Definitely has a stiffer tip and crisp recovery so long as you don't bog it down with a heavy line.

My rod is 15+ years old but I recently test casted a brand new 7-9 and it feels the same!

Thanks for your inputs, gents!
Yes, I like the rods with stiff tips, and I like my B&W Powerlite Speycastrer 15' #10 very much. I own two Meisers S, both 14' #7 and #8, and they are superb rods too, not tipy at all. I have custom build CTS Skagit 13'6 #8/9 and it's fantastic, I build it 7 or 8 years ago and it changed my understanding in spey casting. It was my first serious rod after so many "asian made tipy Scandinavian sticks", who changed my understanding in spey casting.
Then I bought MKS 13'6 #8/9 expecting it will be very similar to my CTS Skagit, I wanted to have similar rod build my Master, and I was disappointed by the performance of it, so I kind of aware of MKS now.
I'm almost in B&W Powerlite Speycaster 15' #7-9, just wanted to hear some good words about it, to be sure it keeps the action similar to its big brother, and I hope it's still has fast recovery, is crispy, has a stiff tip, doesn't fell soft considering that it's long and light one :)

Rifflehitch, CND Blueback is one of the latest models from Nobuo Nodera http://www.morinoie-brook.com/shop/fly/rod/cnd/i_spey.html
As I know they replaced Solstice line of rods and are primary designed for longer spey lines

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Tomkis,

I have you considered CF Burkheimer 8152-4 ?

For Underhand uncut Guideline triple 9/10 density F-H-I ( 600 gr/44") gr is perfect, but a full, uncut 10/11 like F-H-I 680/44' with top hand engagement is a pure joy. For sinking heads like I-S2-S4 you probably want to go to 580gr or even lower, like 550-560 grwith a underhand style of casting.

Another may be even better lines are NextCast Salar Finder 45 8/9 !!!!!! or Steelhead Finder 45

either 7 or 7/8 !!!!!!! depending how you would the rod to load.

It is more progressive rod then many other Burkheimers with incredible feel, rather strong butt and generates fast line speed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tomkis

I own two of the rods and have tried the third one.

The one I have only tried, is the CND Blueback. I friend has the 15.6 and other friend a shorter Blueback, I think 14.6. I have tried both. Since I have only tried them and it is a while ago, for the 15.6 a couple of years, what I can tell you is a bit of a vague recall.
The rod is well made, from a distance it looks black, close up you will see it is a gorgeous very dark blue. It has a deep or through action and not slow. It casts beautifully. It has very advanced graphite which I have been told has been laid in a very complicated way. To complicated to be used in normal prodution rods because of the cost. I had the option to buy one, I regret I didn`t.:(

The B&W I have had since 2008 and the Meiser since 2009. Both are custom made. The B&W is a 4-pce version, finished as a Double Speycaster. I have a 27 inch grip on mine, I think that is about right for a 15 ft rod. The rod has a cork filler and a cork "ball" at the butt end. On the US B&W facebook site there is a picture of an almost identical rod, but it is not mine. I have my name on the rod and the rods name which is "Sommerbris", Norwegian for "Summer breeze". If I had the rod made today, I would not have asked for the cork filler and ball, rather I would have asked for a graphite filler and a rubber button at the end. That would have added 40-50 grams to the weight and would have been good for balance. I have have a 1950ies four inch Perfect at about 420 g that balances the rod well.

The Meiser also have a 27 inch grip, a Struble U-18 extended reel seat (will take a four inch reel foot) and a five inch hardwood (ash) lower grip. This makes the rod balance with very light reels like a Hardy Ultralite Salmon Disc (220 g) or Sirrus Allwater 2 (250 g).
Personally I`m not much into the balancing game so I`m happy to use the Ultralite reel on the B&W.

Some hard numbers, the weight of the upper three sections of the B&W and the Meiser. The butt doesn`t count as it can be customized to anything you want. From top and down:
B&W: 22.9, 47.1, 79.6
Meis: 13.9, 28.6, 59.7 All in grams.

The B&W is much heavier, but I don`t think of it as heavy. According to Brian Potter at B&W the addition of an extra joint adds some 10 to 20 grams to a 15 ft blank, so the 3-pce version should be lighter.

Both rods are a pleasure to cast and fish and not that different. The Meiser has a lighter tip, both are easy to load, both have a wide grain window and will cast a great variation of lines. Both are what I will call medium fast rods and will bend into the cork if you ask for it. I can speycast both rods to about 40 meters (44 yds), others will be able to do much more so distance is not an issue.

Lines: For fun I dug out some Windcutter Versitips the rarly see dayligt and tried on the rods before writting this. Years ago an effort was made to make a speyline standard, the Denver standard I think it was called. When I read the specs I realized that the Windcutter was the standard. So I have cast the WC 6/7/8, 7/8/9 and 8/9/10 on the rods today. All of them worked well on the rods, both for single spey and overhead.
For long speylines the CND GPS and the Nextcast FF70 in 7/8, 8/9 and 9/10 are great, Carrons, Partrigde Ian Gordon are great as well.

Scandi heads. For Meiser rods I usually end up below Meisers grain window when it comes to scandi. I use Scandi only for sinking lines. On the Meiser Guideline 3Ds at about 41-43 ft and 31 to 32 g (475-490 grains) are good. This works well on the B&W too. Both can cast heavier heads like 36 g, but I don`t consider that scandi casting. When I cast scandi I keep my guard low, my upper hand well below my nippels and very stationary, it is only there to support the rod. I have cast heads as light as 26 g (just under 400 grains) on both rods and like the feel. Both rods will handle full sinking scandi heads and full sinking speylines like Carron 65s or Ian Gordons, but the B&W is better at it. If you put a S6 tip at a CND line, the B&W is better, but the Meiser will do it.
I may add that both rods will lift the full head of the CND and FF70 7/8 and 8/9 off the water for an overhead cast and put the line back again without any false casting. DT 7-8-9 and 10 may also be used on the rods.

All three rods will will do great service as big river rods for Atlantic salmon up to perhaps 13-14 kgs as long as you avoid really high, fast water. They will not cast a two inch copper tube, but bottlenecks, half inch coppertubes, large singles (3/0) and doubles, yes.

If you ask me to choose between the three rods, I will say I`ll take all three. If you force me to select one, I think my selection will be based on things like the weather, my mood, did I sleep well, was the breakfast good, all kinds of unimportant matters.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Sazan,
I had read many god things about Burkie 8152 and I believe it's fantastic rod!

Knut,
Thanks for your detailed comparison of the rods! Hope the weather is good in Norway at the moment ;)

Cheers,
Tomas

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have owned or tried just about all of the rods you've asked about except that cnd,

The newer B&W are much lighter then the old ones....I think the 15' 7/9 is the best rod out there bar none...It will cast the 45, 55, 70 and up no problem, it will pick up tips and cast them a long way, which other rods won't...it's well made and designed by guys who have been doing this for a very long time...
It's a three piece rod and I only own three piece rods now...

James nod to the MKS is also right on, that a big whomping stick and doesn't lack in power or distance....I like the B&W more as it's a 3 piece and casts on auto pilot for me...I *****ed at Bob forever but he doesn't roll his blanks and so can't make a 3 piece....if he did, WOW!!

The B&W will cost you more but you can pick everything on it from color to reel seat insert, reel seat length, all at no extra cost....you'll pay for the shipping and taxes which pushes the cost up past the others by a couple hundred or more...but the service is the best i have ever dealt with...they are truly some of the nicest people and totally blow me away with how far and beyond the norm they will go to make you happy!!!

If money is a consideration and you like 4 piece rods, Mr. Meiser would not be hard to take!!!

I love the 3 piece burkie's....i don't think they have strong enough tips compared to the other two companies....but I will never get rid of my 7133-3 ... I have owned the 8152 and broke the tip....I have broken too many tips on the 4 piece ones.....I constantly bug them to more 3 piece models but who am i ?

B&W will build you whatever you ask um if your interested...but goddamn i won't own anything but a 3 piece...LOL

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I would be very cautious in choose the CND.

CND had the Blueback come out in 2011 or 2012. Kinda expensive if I remember correctly. Don't think it came out in the states. Kush would know.
In case of breakage you could be totally out of luck,, the other two the Meiz would be the 'easy fix.'

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Bob has a 16' 8/9 MKS try rod on the way to me as we speak, I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! The last time I had a feeling like this about a rod was when he started making "hybrids" available, with a next generation of graphite and a new taper to maximize its potential. So I'm the proud owner of one of the earliest "S" rods and it's still the sweetest rod I own. Consequently, when Bob "suggests" a rod to me I leap on it and he's not been wrong yet. I'd heard that the new graphite had made the 7/9 Highlander Classic even lighter and sweeter than before, but he steered me toward MKS instead.

The newest graphite he's using has cut the weight of MKS considerably, and as most of you know they were notorious for being kind of heavy in the hand and tip-heavy due to the amount of material required to achieve that taper. Bob tells me that problem has disappeared now. I guess the MKS taper was always sort of waiting for this scrim to arrive before the MKS taper's potential could be realized.

I'll have a report available on this rod before SpeyClave. Hoo boy, is this ever gonna be fun!

·
Registered
997 Posts
SpeySpaz..... you are going to realllllly like that 16' MKS.... I have been messing with one for the last 2 months.

J.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Oh my. I want to go for to like the 16' MKS too. I've got the 15' version and have been bonding with it a bunch this last couple of weeks, especially since Steve Godshall sold me a mint GPS 8/9. With the 16 foot version you could probably loop 100' of 1/2 inch choker cables together and throw 30' into the backing, maybe even with a little T14 on the tip. I am going to be all over that stick at Sandy.

Spaz, let me know how it does with a DT. I don't have one big enough for my 15' MKS but have continued playing with one on my little 5wt. I think it's going to get a bunch of use on trout this summer.

CT

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Spaz, let me know how it does with a DT. I don't have one big enough for my 15' MKS but have continued playing with one on my little 5wt. I think it's going to get a bunch of use on trout this summer.

CT
I will, Tom, the DT I have is 120'/1420gr, and I hope to be able to lift and cast most of it with this rod. Assuming, of course the operator is able to. I guess I'll find out the truth of that pretty quick. So far, 95 ft seems to be the wall for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts