Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post on here so please excuse me if this has been covered before (I had a look through and couldn't find it). I am new to double-handers. I am buying a rod to fish various medium UK rivers. My regular rivers will be the Wye and the Usk in S Wales but I expect to do the odd trip up to the Tyne and maybe onto one of the bigger Scottish rivers occasionally. Having looked around, the Bruce and Walker Norways seem to be widely recommended rods and so I thought I might plump for one of those. My question is this. For an all round rod am I better off buying a 9/10 or a 10/11 15 footer, given that I am new to speycasting?

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you are looking for a rod to use on all occasions on med-large sized rivers, then I would go with the 10/11.

It is slightly heavier than the 9/10k, but it is marginal! The 10/11 has that little extra oomph!! This will handle sinking lines and sink-tips with ease!!

Don't get me wrong the 9/10 is great fun with a floating line(or sink tip), but the 10/11 is just a great all round rod!!

With good tuition you should have no probs starting out with this rod :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good advise !

I`ll second that. I use the 15` 10/11 B&W as my favoured rod for these type of rivers, and it`s just a great all rounder. Not to say that there`s a huge difference between the two, but as fishingd0 says the extra oomph is great to have.
Best of luck with it, and enjoy.
Peter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
AJR, whereabouts on the Wye will you be fishing? Where I occasionally fish it (low down, below Monmouth) a 10/11 rod would be way too much.

There are very few places on that beat where you need to cast 30yds. Moreover, as you probably know, the bulk of the Wye fishing is now for summer fish; the spring runs of old having all but disappeared. And unless you're fishing it early in the season (ie up to about mid-April) for one of these rare springers you probably won't need more than a floating line. In typical summer conditions much of the river is very flat, glassy water, and a #10 line creates a good deal of disturbance. I've mentioned my feelings about line disturbance here before. Having recently been fortunate enough to fish the Spey for a few days, I can see that on a classic big Scottish river there's little problem with using a heavy, thick line even in lowish water conditions. But believe me, on much of the Wye (at least in its lower reaches) a heavy line will really not help your catches during the main season. I use a 15' rod because I like the water coverage it gives. But I team it with a #7 line. I could manage it quite well well with a rod a foot shorter.

I've never fished the Usk, but I think it's a smaller river than the Wye. Don't know about the Tyne at all.

I've no doubt that the 10/11 may be a better casting rod, and would also be better for using sunk lines or heavy tips. But I think you'd find yourself overgunned on the waters you mention.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If he can afford the B&W Kola, he can a pair of whatever rods he wants - in addition to a yearround lease on the Wye. :smokin:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think you are confusing the Kola with the Double Spey or Whisperer. The Kola is excellent value for money but a touch tip heavy IMHO.
I think Kola "retail" at £400 level though bargains can be sourced from the usual suspects.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Of course he can't. It is best to have two identical set ups then when you get in a tangle you hand the rod to the gillie to untangle the wind knot and continue with the identical rod.
I asumed everyone does this? you men this is not normal practice amazing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Or even if the rod gets caught up in the overhanging trees?!! :lildevl:

Gordon

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ha bloody ha, my rod is currently back at the factory being re ringed.You would think that someone in the capital of the Highlands could use one of these.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Your right !!! I caught up in them yesterday and took of another of my own rings!!!! :mad:

B&W will be kept busy!!!

p.s - The are some massive catches reported on the club water. It was said that 46 were taken on Wed. Some going!! Lets hope common sense prevailed with C&R!!!

Gordon

·
Registered
106 Posts
So that`s why ?

Now I understand why there`s been a delay in B&W sending my new rod ! Obviously a few of you chaps have been keeping them occupied on the repairs front. :hihi:
Really should watch out for those trees ! :roll:

Gordon, What are the club waters you speak of ? Sounds like a great run at present.
We`re all but finished over here (most systems closed on 30th), but likewise we had some marvelous runs towards the end. By contrast, some of the ol` faithful`s didn`t fish well, but the spate rivers really came into their own this season with the weather we had.
Peter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Been fishing the Ness. It has been a great late run, with alot of 20lb plus fish about!!

I was down this morning and caught the strangest of fish. It was a sealiced grilse that was no more than 2lb. Don't think I have seen such a small fish, especially at this time of year!! Whats going on these days??? :confused:

Gordon

·
Registered
106 Posts
That`s small for a returning fish alright !
We had something similar happen on the Moy last year, a lot of 2-4lb fish.
This year the summer run was very disappointing on that river, but hopefully with the high water, a lot of fish just moved on through.
How much longer do your rivers stay open Gordon ?
Peter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Ness closes on the 15th of oct.

However there are a number of other rivers nearby opern untill 30th oct!

Gordon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all your help, Gents.

Gardener, I live in Bristol so I am able to time my trips to these rivers when there is a falling spate. I am looking at day ticket waters mainly below Monmouth. The bulk of my fishing will, I suspect, be on the Usk which, you rightly say, is a bit smaller than the Wye. That said, from my (limited) knowledge I would say it has rather more broken water than the smooth pools of the Wye. I will mainly be fishing late summer and early autumn (to the end of the season in mid Oct). I already have a 10` for a 7 which I suspect would suffice in the lowest water. I am looking for an all round rod for use on these rivers (and the others mentioned). Maybe I should look at the Kola.

Willie, other than Fawcetts, who are the "usual suspects"?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Away on the Beauly this week I'll PM you Sat night /Sunday when I'm on my own machine.
He is not a sponsor here so it will be a PM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Malcolm & Gordon:

What are the favoured big water rods (model, length, line weight) on the Ness? Are they predominately Bruce and Walkers?

Ray.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fishingd0 said:
Or even if the rod gets caught up in the overhanging trees?!! :lildevl:

Gordon
Not really Malcolm's fault. He was just demonstrating to me what not to do on the Ness. Needless to say I took the advice to heart and kept my rod intact. :hihi:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.