Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i'm new here.
i fish in the salt, but in a unique environment that behaves much like a river system. Its true salt, not an estuary.

For a look at what we are doing check out www.myfishcasting.org/approach.htm

Its just a start, and i am now thinking of attacking certain areas with spey tactics.

After long deliberation, i have decided that maybe the B&W Norway 14-9 should fit the bill. I need to be continually moving, and a fixed length of line would be an advantage. 1 cast, mend, swing and move.

The 15 foot 9/10 isn't excluded from thought either. These rods have a simple reel seat, chromed stainless rings, and just a polished blank. Fits my requirements there, and not too pricey if i make a big mistake.

The factory have recommended a DT9F for my work, but after reading the many discussions on here i'm a little confused. :confused:

I had been all set for getting my line and rod delivered tommorow, but i'll wait and see what you guys have to say.

Most of my spey work will be at 70 feet or so, enabling me to fish the fly in 5 foot of fast flowing water whilst i can stay in a safe 3 feet of water. I will be needing to turn over flies as large as 2/0 dressed light and also leaded flies such as clousers.

I reckon the DT will fit the bill admirably, but what size ????.

I could of course do all this via trial and error, but i ask you to save me some time and money.

cheers.
--
Keith White.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Keith,

If you are new to Spey Casting the B&W Norway may cause a few problems. It is a great, powerful rod at a great price, but it can be quite unforgiving and your timing has to be relatively accurate.

I would have been more inclined to recommend a secondhand Daiwa Amorphous Speycaster, which has quite a forgiving action but is also a great rod. Once you have the casting nailed you can decide what other rods would suit.

The double taper sounds good for the casting you talk about, as you can work with a longer casting length. If you are intending to strip line in after each cast, I would consider a short head spey line like the Rio Windcutter. Spey casting in the salt is not so common in Britain, but there are a lot of threads on the subject on this site. Most of the regular saltwater spey casters seem to use shooting head systems, but for the distances you are talking about, this would be unnecessary.

Hope this helps, rather than confuse!

Tight Lines,

Gary.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, i gave serious thought to a secondhand rod. I still haven't quite decided yet, so anything is still on the cards.

I'm going to be new to double handed spey, but not single handed.

I can make the 70 feet with my RPLXi's, but what this doesn't give me is the control i need to drift my fly or flies along the very changable current.

The water is rising all the time and the long rod is mainly for the mends and ease of moving around. I'm not going to be doing anything special at first with any rod i get hold of, but i do tend to go into things very deeply.

So, who knows, i may find myself learning all the available casts, hence, i am steering towards a rod that i can progress with, rather than buying twice and learning 2 or more rod actions.

I did the same with the sea fishing, i learned the pendulum cast, and now i'm a tournament caster in the 250-280 yard bracket.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think you have made a wonderful choice with your B&W Norway 14 rod. I was using one this afternoon and I found it easy to cast. I was using it with a loop adapted shooting head intermediate and it just went and went and went , it must have been close to your 280yds, OK that was an exageration but I think it is a super rod.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I watched your videos. Very interesting technique. I did not read anything on your site, so what are you casting lead, plugs, cut bait? How long was that rod, 16-18 feet? I don't care what anyone says, 280 yds is a lot of line to through even with mono. You must be casting some serious weight with that rod. Way to go!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello, yes, it is a lot of line to control.

my best weight is 125 grams or 4 1/4 ounces, but we throw 150 gram and 175 gram. All on different lines, but most with an 80lb shockleader to dampen the force on take-off.
my fav rod length is 14'-2" and is a zziplex LT14.
Just to give you an idea of whats involved, the butt section has a 140lb deflection at 1" and during a biggish cast that butt would deflect 1-2", the reels are multipliers down low in the left hand, and they have a start up speed of about 20,000 rpm or thereabouts.
Total time for a 250 yard cast would be about 6 or 7 seconds. Thats the time it takes to sometimes empty a abu 6500 size reel of 12lb or 15lb line.
If we crack off, that is the line parts company at the rod top immediatly after hitting it, we can be searching upto 1/4 mile away for the sinker.
We sometimes have to use a "T" bar wrapped around the leader to lift em out of the ground after a good one.

Crazy, ain't it.

But fun :)

Sorry for the OT post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts