Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a rod on the Anglers Workshop AF140B10F 14 foot 9-10 wt. blank. This is suposed to be a faster action blank. I am interested to know if this rod will handle tips well, and what I can expect in the way of performance. How dose it comparte to other 9-10 wt 14 footers.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Maybe less than .02 cents worth here.

I think the blank is a Lami. out of Woodland, WA. But check with Speyrd (aka Leroy); suspect strongly he's your 'go to guy' for info on this rod.
fae

·
Registered
439 Posts
Talon makes most all of Anglers blanks. Can't answer the performance issues about that blank. They do however make a 14' 4pc 9wt that is friendly to cast and handles big stuff. Hope this helps.
Leroy...........................

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thanks Guy!

Having a couple of Talon rods (one that the CEO 'simi-custom' made for me .. cool guy!!! as he didn't have to go there) I'd think the rod would be pretty darned good.

But Talon is also (was?) in Woodland, WA, perhaps a phone call and you may be able to do a 'test drive?"
fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

Talon is indeed located in Woodland.

Natrix,

This blank makes into a nice casting medium (a tad toward the slow side of medium) rod. The third generation AW blanks (also made by Talon) is a medium-fast action that is also very nice casting, although the 3rd generation costs a bit more.

Avoid the slow action Talon (or AW) 2-hand blanks though, they are designated by having an "S" at the end of the blank number.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Talon blanks

I have one of the AW rods built on a 4th generation graphite blank It has an "S" on the blank number. I don't remember the blank number without looking it up. It is a 12ft 7/8 wt 3pc. I would not classify this as a slow action at all. Although according to AW catalog. there are faster action blanks available for two handed rods. Hope this helps.

><///('>
JD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts