Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help please-Auction site rod ID

Saw this on the auction site. Looked around for awhile and noted it had previously sold for a much higher number than this last auction. Curious if these are viable sticks, if so I'm keeping an eye out! Any help with ID is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And another

Last one, sorry, I just copied off the site which is why I think I can't post multiple

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Does the earlier listing give any information about the rod? The length, the material? It appears to be solid wood, so my first thought is greenheart, although other hardwoods were sometimes used.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing at all Mac. You brought up my other point of interest in this rod-I'd love a bamboo two hander, even if only for display, but who built these with a hardwood grip and a bamboo blank? I figured maybe someone here would know if it was in fact a mass built piece or if this was someone's handiwork. Most bamboo on the auction site is usually for parts if this inexpensive but this wasn't advertised as such.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Onesunca.

From the photos I would guess that this rod was made of Ash. I also strongly suspect that this rod was intended for coarse fishing (carp, Roach, etc). From the look of the ferrules I would say that the rod is of overall low quality. She does have a certain charm to her tho and would make a great display rod or wall hanger if you are so inclined.

Cheers.
James

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
My thoughts...

Victorian era

Lancewood and/or ash (too light colour for greenheart)

One piece solid wood handle tapering into the rest of the butt section was not uncommon

I would agree - a 'coarse' rod (bait, float, spinner), NOT a fly rod

low grade ferrules

relatively low value rod (~$100 max.)

not likely to be an enjoyable experience fishing such a rod today - better hanging on your den wall

Mike

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome info, thanks gang. For $26 I'd hang it over the bar anyday, just another reminder of how obsessed I've become(as if I need one)!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts