Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This questions is for comp casters or anyone using similar tackle and is in regard to reel selection.
I want to load a reel with Varivas and comp line for 15' rod.
The question is...... how important is the arbor diameter when selecting a reel?
I see LOop megaloop being used a lot. Is there a diameter you prefer to stay above?
I imagine the larger arbor reduces coiling?less tangles?less friction?
other beneficial effects for distance casting?
I have a Lamson LS4. Will this suffice or will I regret not getting the largest arbor I can find.
Any other SUPER large arbor out there?

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,816 Posts
The most important thing in reel choice is that the thin mono can’t get caught in the reel in any way so a closed frame is much preferred as is the loop reel, and yes diameter helps with line coil :grin2:

·
Registered
925 Posts
donk,

The largest arbor reel I know of is a 3-Tank Vikn V-130 at 5.25"! However, not a closed frame. That said, the rep assured me that the frame tolerances were sufficiently tight to keep mono from getting outside the cage. FWIW, I use one of the big reddington behemoths and seldom have 30lb varivas get through, but it has happened. When it does, the reel is still usable but not something you would want to deal with while the clock is running.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
My perspective.

Of all the things I stress about, this is at the bottom of the list. Some people do swear by the Megaloop. Personally, I've used a bunch of different reels, many will work. Really, the #1 thing, you need a reel that is going to hold a giant line. That's not entirely trivial. Uncut comp lines are around 80' and 1200gr. Sure you cut them down, but you start oversized and work down. The LS4 will hold a line of that size. It will work. Though, just eyeballing the one I have, likely with not a lot of room to spare.

Line jump. Is really annoying. But, surely, you are not planning on mucking around a lot with your running line in the middle of a comp, right ? OTOH, if you are at all serious about this, 99.5% of your casting will be practice, so running line problems are more an annoyance and it is a question of your personality how much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Big reels are definitely preferred for managing the large comp line for many of the previously stated reasons. For me something light weight. Balance here IMO is irrelevant, you don’t want a heavy rig.

I use the Hardy 10000 DD’s

Don’t overthink it it’s just a line holder. Better time is spent worrying about technique.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts