Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the long `tails' used on so many of the Salmon patterns and of course the `comets' share this `tail'(approximately of course),,anybody this side of the pond using say,,,`pot belly pigs' or `Alleys Shrimp' patterns for summer steel?,i have a tendency to tie a super short tail for summers,i have a favorite softhackle fly i tie with no tail that's been extremely good to me so,i guess this is a two-part(er)question,,WHAT are the fish taking a super long tailed fly for?,simply because it's there in front of them or,,( i know this sounds like a stupid question but i am tying some comets up for chinook at the coastal venues today and having NO success hooking steelies on comets on the Rogue here>i must wonder if anybody uses them for summers succesfully on ANY summer steel river:confused: my opinion on the chinook is;being brushed in the face with a long tail irritates them and they snap at it,they'll probably spook steelies,just my opinion of course,any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Comets

have worked for me on the Deschutes for Steelhead. There are other flies that I use more now.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Hammer,

The Ally's Shrimp in orange, black, purple, Cut Silk Shrimp (basically a Purple Ally's with a flat pearl tinsel body), claret, and hot pink & orange are flies I fish a lot, especially the orange, purple, and hot pink & orange, in winter. I tie them on #1/0 and #2/0 hooks for winter and down to #8's for summer.

I find them to be as effective as the much more time consuming to tie G.P., unless you are fishing frog water where the extra movement of the G.P. seems to have an edge.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey!

just in from the canyon section of the Rogue,,that's a place where a mind can work:eek: ,,i saw a white Alley's Shrimp on eBay UK a couple years back,,really looked great!,,,,,,,,,,,i had a man include an orange alley's in my very first `salmon' reel purchase,,from Scotland,told me to try it on chinook,THAT was a magical experience,,getting that first huge reel,removing the spool and lo and behold there was some tiny `flowers' in there stuck on the grease,i remember the day,(now),,holding that reel=DIRECT FROM SCOTLAND!,:hihi: ,COOOL!:whoa: ,sorry ,,i'm getting all off topic here,,where is that fly?,,,,the orange alley's,,anybody have a formula for the white Alley's Shrimp?:confused:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welp!

i found the man's fly=orange Alley's Shrimp,sz 6 treble direct from Scotland,fished it last after an olive hairwing a BHPTail and,,,guess what,,it cought fish!,they crushed it!,,none were bigger than 9 inches of course but,,the fly works on the Rogue!:smokin: no idea what they thought it was(other than tasty),,soIMHO if i'm getting bit by 8inchers it will work on steel(always worked before),now i had started down a path where i was creating a green Alley's for winters,,i'll have to find those flies in the mess i call `the bench':rolleyes: and `do some more studying':hihi:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts