Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to choose a fishing trip between eastern Canda's Atlantic Salmon or western Canada's Pacific Salmon [having never fished for either]...which would you choose and why? Tx.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Atlantics...............because they are the most amazing fresh water game fish available. The way they fight.....they way they respond to swung and skated flies, and the type of presentation they respond to ..........makes them the best in my book.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Atlantics - I love the fish, the fight and the tradition.

my uncle got all the hook and bullet magazines, and when I was a kid I devoured everything in them about Atlantic Salmon, when as an adult, I finally caught my first one, I was not let down in any way.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
IF - and that's a big IF - I hadn't fished for either, and someone showed me lots of photos of the places the two inhabit, and one of the places was incredible photos of British Columbia...I'd have to choose steelhead in that place.
Gary

(and that is from a solidly dedicated atlantic salmon angler).

·
Registered
184 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
I certainly agree with Gary on the magnificent scenery of the steelhead habitat, but I love Atlantics, and the pleasure of swinging a floating line. But I sure would like to give steelhead a go sometime.
Now, one might call these statements very conclusive.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Because I've fished for steelhead most of my life, I'd choose Atlantic salmon - if, and it's a big if, I could afford it. At $100 and more per day for a day-ticket, I'll probably just keep fishing for steelhead. Fish for the budget conscious.

Sg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Never thought steelhead would be considered the budget conscious fish haha...but in this case I must agree. However because i've only fished for steelhead, and how famous the atlantics are and their history...i'd have to go for atlantics

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fascinating Questions facing us all...

The Atlantics are coming back a bit thanks to the work of the Atlantic Salmon Federation as well as the buying out of the Canadian First Nation river mouth netting.

I am considering a return to the Gaspe' but find that fishing for steelhead on the Babine, Upper Copper, Kispox, Bulkley, Skeena and the coastal rivers is where I have spent my river days.

Will be returning to Kamchatka for steelhead in October which is the best of the best for the steelies.

But my favorite dream remains a few nights fishing the Alta for the really big Atlantics.

So in answer to your question...BOTH...and as often as possible.

:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Atlantic or pacific salmon??

Nothing I have ever hooked in a river has come close to what a fresh King salmon can do to you. I have some limited experience with atlantics in Russia, and would go back in a heartbeat, but I think fresh kings are second to no other fish you can catch in a river. Let the debate continue.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I prefer the opportunity to fly fish without crowds, be that 6-9 inch cutts on a small stream or a guided trip in Russia.

I prefer a wild river to cement and asphalt, green and blue to grey and black.
Exactly!! I've never fished for Cutts, Atlantics, Pacific Salmon or Pacific Steelhead, but I agree with the sentiment. Typed while surrounded by cement and asphalt, grey and black, and pining for a wild river and green and blue.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
609 Posts
What a decision!!! Be sure to do it soon....!!! Because the Harper gouvernment wants wild fish out of our waters!!!! The budget was 100 percent pro pipeline...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have no experience fishing for the Western variety (yet). I started swinging for Atlantics 2 years ago, but this past year was the first time I actually had half a clue what I was doing. There is something about a salmon river, with it's beautiful flowing waters, the pride, love, passion, and rich history that makes you feel at home... And when you connect with the king(or queen), there is nothing that I know to compare with the feeling. So Atlantics for me... But as SteelheadJunkie said.. It doesn't really matter what is on the end of the leader, it's loosing ourselves in the flowing water, screaming reels, and flashing silver.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Although this appears to have morphed from the OP's question on comparison, sorry, CHOICE between Atlantics & Pacifics, to the decision between Atlantics & Steelies, I have to say that I have been very priviliged to have fished for & caught Atlantics (in Scotland, England, Ireland, Russia & Norway), and fished for & caught Pacifics (limited to BC so far!), I have also fished for & caught Steelies.

As I haven't caught sockeye or chum, my experience is still limited, however.

If I were to make a choice (& I have!), I would go for the salt-fresh Chinook every time. It's the heart-stopping sheer power of these magnificent fish, even in a 12lber!, which not only rip off every available yard of backing off your reel, and test every single ounce of your own energy & skill, and put every component of your tackle to the severest of punishment that will keep me going back for more - not to mention the brutal endurance of a fish that doesn't understand the meaning of giving up. When you hook a 30+lber, oh boy!!!!! , and to think it could just as easily BE a 60lber!!!!

It's the Dean for me, 1st week July (again!!) :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Atlantic Salmon redefined my opinion of what a river fish should be (the addiction continues) but a west coast Steelhead trip would be my choice.

·
Registered
514 Posts
East v west

Hi all, is ther any difference between EAST and WEST coast sea run Rainbows ( Steel heads as I would call them )
I would think that because the water temperature of the two oceans I would think they are very different , but do not know. Please educate me on the finer points of sea run Rainbow Trout.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oldstyleoverthe,

Steelhead, sea run, or lake run rainbows are all the same species. The differences in behavior are related to where you find them. Not so much as which side of the continent (although I only live, work, and fish on the west coast), but the environmental conditions in terms of water temperature, height, and turbidity. Steelhead are most active and come best to the fly in water temperatures from 50* F to the low 60s. At 68* F they become less active, but will still rise and hit, but are also to excessive lactic acid build up which causes a significantly higher mortality rate in released fish. Steelhead hit well at temperatures below 50, all the way to 33*, just above freezing. However, how well they hit in those lower temperatures seems to depend a lot on the environment they are found in. If low temperatures are normal to the location, steelhead seem to hit much better than in say, coastal rain forest streams where temps in the 30s are less common.

I don't think the temperature of the ocean affects the behavior of steelhead after they enter freshwater streams, and if it does, we don't have any means of measuring the behavioral effects.

Sg

·
Registered
514 Posts
thanks SG

Hi,thanks for your input SG .while I understand that both fish are basically the same , I would like to hear from people who fish for both to find out if they are different. The warmer water of the Pacific should ,given that both get the same amounts / quality of food grow faster than the Atlantic's.
SALT concentration will also effect growth rates due to the need to maintain blood salt levels.
I would expect Pacifics to be shorter, rounder /fatter fish. Purly based on water temps.
I would also expect a 4 sea winter Pacific to 8% heaver than an Atantic of the same age.
A SEA WINTER is a measurement of the time spent at sea since leaving or returning to fresh water. Seen as rings on scales or certain bones.
Russian Sea Trout (brown ) show huge growth per sea winter, could be food could be genetics. DO NOT KNOW !!!!
I am hear to learn and pass on any info I have .
SO INFORM ME or ASK QUESTIONS.

THANKS FOR THE INFO

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Steelhead for me, Atlantics are too restrictive in access and overly expensive.

I lived for only one year in Alaska (1969-1970) and dream of returning to the Northwest.

Regards,
FK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts