Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get back in the swing after seeing the amazing ties here recently.
Decided to start with the flies that began the addiction long ago. Filling some boxes.
Here are some doubles from sizes 6 to 10.
Thanks for looking

Blue Charm

Silver doctor

Night Hawk

Pompier

Green Highlander

Undertaker

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Very cool, nicely done. Always wanted to tie on doubles but would have very little use for them where I fish mostly. Still there is something magical in the way they look. I would love to see how they ride and under water, I'm betting it's simply beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

KC

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great ties, John! I agree that there's something about doubles, and such well tied ones only add to the magic!!

I was just looking at some sz. 10 Patriots I got a while back, wondering what to tie on them. It's time to give 'em a go!

Thanks for the inspiration,

-Bill

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,850 Posts
Spectacular Tying

Patterns not so easy on doubles to maintain proprtions

More inspiration

·
Administrator
19,214 Posts
John it's so good to see you posting your flies again :)
These are exactly what I would expect from you my friend , absolute killers !!
These are all on my list of favorite salar flies ... I would fish any of them with extreme confidence .

Fantastic work John :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Personal thought here only.

Patterns not so easy on doubles to maintain proprtions

More inspiration
When it comes to 'doubles' folks have a tendency to use far too heavy a hook. Go for light wire, I've had a few 'straightened out' over the years. Net game was a fish touches one of those things and GAME ON.:saeek:

fae

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Since we are on the subject I'm fuzzy on where you can use doubles in the US? I have never used or tied on these but they are so beautiful.

Is there a advantage using doubles vs. singles?

Why are they illegal in most rivers?

KC

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
wonderful

Love your flies, but am a tad curious about the small size of the flies. I note that hereabouts (western Oregon) folks tend to fish flies size 2 or larger during the winter. I assume that Atlantic salmon are more like our summer fish and through the season come to prefer smaller and smaller offerings. Is that correct?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts