Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new reel that will balance my T&T 1409 and have the capacity to carry a midspey 9/10 and maybe longer belly lines if need be. I've been doing quite a bit of snooping around on-line. It's really amazing how many reel manufacturers are out there. Anyway...the new ATH Design Salmon reel looks kinda interesting. Has anyone had any experience with this reel or it's little brother the SeaTrout? Any ideas on what it might weigh? I'm thinking it has some heft because the SeaTrout supposedly weighs in at ~12.7 oz. What about the specifics of the drag mechanism? I've been having a heck of a time trying to dig up information on this reel. The mfg website is "under construction" and doesn't offer much in the way of specifics and the retailer I contacted couldn't help much either without contacting ATH-USA themselves.

-Thanks and tight lines
dave

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Hey dmas,

I have some info for you;however, your private message is not activated.
tHE seatrout could possibly hold a 7/8/9 WC, it is not too large a reel so I would guess that long bellies are limited. The drag is quite a kick a$$ setup with a "fine tuning" knob on the outside of the actual drag knob. Pretty interesting. Good luck...

Vinnie

J

·
0 Posts
Why don't you contact the importer/distributor in the US? The company is ATH/USA and the guy's name is Jeff Bowen. Reach him at 505.988.4730. He's located in New Mexico. Jeff is very familiar with these reels and should be able to answer virtually any question. By the way, the listed weight for the Salmon is 12.875oz. It's shown as being 1/4" larger in diameter than the Seatrout. The drag is unusual, but works on much the same principle as some Steelfin models. The knob is a preset that determines the maximum drag and the entire backplate can be used to feather the drag without exceeding the preset. Capacities aren't given because of the enormous variation in speyline setups, but Jeff should be able to give you some idea.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks for the response guy's. I'll contact Jeff. 12.875oz's seems like it might work for me. Also, I have activated the PM in my user options.
Tight Lines
Dave

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a friend who loves Ari Hart reels, but mostly on single handed rods. He hasn't designed many reels large enough for speys. However, I think that the Hardy Angel was designed by Ari Hart. I think I heard it on this forum so I'm not sure how accurate it is. But the reel certainly looks like a Hart design. It also has great capacity in the higher ends.

Gillie

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up Gillie. That reel is also on my radar based on your suggestion yesterday. By the way...don't know if you made it down to the river at all today but the fishing slowed for me today considerably. Water is up significantly from yesterday and starting to color up a bit more. She still has some green however :)

tight lines

·
Registered
562 Posts
dmas,
I didn't realize it was you asking. The Angel is a great reel that would give you the stylings if AHT and the tradition of Hardy. There are good reels for less money but this is an amazing reel.

Gillie

·
Registered
81 Posts
DMAS

If I had to choose just one reel to fish over Steelhead. Theres no doubt in my mind it would be an Ari T Hart reel. I've used them for over 12 years now without one problem.. the drags in my old F series are the best hands down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts