Spey Pages banner

At what rod length do compact heads stop casting well?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Green Butt 
#1 ·
I'm thinking specifically about the Airflo compact Scandi heads. On a 13 footer that I use most for Atlantics, these heads are fantastic. I'm wondering, given their length, how well they will cast on a 14 footer - i.e. am I going to be able to get a good enough D-loop? Any experiences?

#3 ·
If you really like the scandi style and want to go with a longer rod I would consider going with a mid belly line of some sort. These line can be very versitile depending on type(floating, intermediate, sinking, tips etc). Maybe even a long belly. I think you will not find progression difficult.

To use what you have I would tie on a long poly then your leader.

Dan

#4 ·
To use what you have I would tie on a long poly then your leader.

Dan
I think he means polyleader plus tippet. you don't want to add a tapered leader to a tapered poly.

I have tried a 32' head on a 14' rod and using a 14' intermediate poly + 4' tippet I liked it better than w/10' poly or longer mono. but you can adjust your stroke to fit even a less than rod length leader AND a short head. I prefer a head +/- 1ft of the 2.5 X rod length ratio. personally i'd rather be on the long side.

compact is a marketing term. they get longer as the gr wt increases, tho maybe not long enough. 480- 540 is still only 34'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.