Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For whoever might be interested, the ASF published their annual State of the Atlantic Salmon report. You should be able to find it here: State of the Atlantic Salmon 2021

I'm disapointed to see Greenland overpassed their agreed upon limit again this year. Actually very near to last Year's catch if I recall correctly. I guess that throws a wrench in the theory why last year's runs were generally good to above average.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I fished the Quebec Northshore earlier this week . Since no fish were reported in the river ,I left Mtl on Sunday A.M.instead of the day before . When I arrived there at 13:00 I could see into the whole pool and could easily view every rock and boulder I’ve attached 2 pic’s .The river was about 3 ‘LOWER than usual and temperature was 17C !!! Fished Monday and not one fish could be seen rolling ! Tuesday A.M. the river temp was already 21.5 C !! Not a healthy temp for Salmon .Did one pass anyway and at noon temp had climbed to 23 C. Packed up and came home The guy I fished with on Monday had earlier scouted 11 KM of river and had seen zero signs of fish . This seems to be the situation all along the Northshore Only 2 fish reported as of Sunday on the Godbout and nothing on any of the other rivers Supposedly a few fish have gone up the pass on the Gouffre but I believe that ‘news” is just a fisherman attracter to get folk to put a fly on their waters .Riviere aux Rochers has a few large Salmon in the estuary but they are not running upstream . On Monday once he cruel winds had died down I checked the estuary of the river I was fishing and didn’t see any Salmon rolling .
I hope that it'll be unlike 2014 when the runs on the Northshore were very low .

Simon if you go on this site
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic and zoom over to the North Atlantic you can see just how many fishing vessels are targeting the ocean around Greenland and Iceland .If you were to check around the west coast of Greenland a few months back you would have seen a hell of lot more fishing vessels in that area ! That is a prime salmon wintering area !
I was shocked to see the #s of fishing vessels around Iceland ! Of note are 2 Danish Navy ships guarding the west coast of Greenland probably keeping those nasty Canadian fishing boats ,LOL

Friend of mine ran 42 kms of prime Salmon spawning areas on one river and saw NO signs of redds at all !! He’s going the boat up tanother river today to see if any Saumons have arrived up that river . I’ll be calling the Aux Rochers on the weekend to see if conditions have improved as I have 4 days booked for next week All the rivers up there desperately need rain and the forecast is for rain and much cooler weather all next week !!!
The only good aspect of my 3 day trip was I had a chance to wring out the 16’ Meiser MKX with the 83’ Gaelforce Equaliser line and it’s a match made in heaven !! With that line it’s a joy to cast ! The new MKX’s are very light also ! That is going the be my hitching and dry fly setup !

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear you had poor conditions Brian. At least you were fishing your new MKX; that's good. Hopefully your time on Riviere aux Rochers will be better! I too amd desperately looking at the water levels on the rivers I will be fishing and they are getting lower... and lower... and lower... Not good unless some serious rain happens soon... 23deg C is crazy for this time of year. I guess that is the dark water of the northshore that doesn't help...

Just FYI that AIS tracking system only shows vessels that are equiped with a transmitter, which is usually the larger vessels. Of what I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), the Greenland salmon fishery is smaller vessels that most probably aren't equipped with such systems. Still interesting observations, but probably don't properly reflect the fishing pressure. That said, the reported catch does. And I do say REPORTED... it's usually more as some always goes unreported....

I don't know what ASF and NASCO have in mind to try and encourage Greenland towards respecting/ complying to the10 year agreement. But I sure hope it starts heading in the right direction soon. It would be nice to see a consistent bump in returns due to a sucessfull agreement being respected by both parties. it would pave the way towards a more permanent fix...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The ASF will do NOTHING except roll their eyes and ------------- as does the FQSA . Money is wasted joining these 2 groups

NASCO ,however ,are really on the ball as is Mikael Frödin ,although dynamic, he doesn't compare to Orri Vigfússon who is sadly missed since he passed away in 2017 . Orri understood and practiced the politics needed to save Atlantic Salmon

We also need an east coast Alexandra Bryant Hubbard Morton who is doing a spectacular job on the West Coast
Oh,and DON'T look to the DFO to do anything

You are right about the AIS tracking system picks up only transponder equipped vessels but it was my impression that satellites show the rest .

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree with you there Topher. I've been saying it for a while; we need to preach by example. Only then can we start influencing others in the direction we feel is right. And as a Quebecois, you can't imagine my frustration with the current management system which yearly justifies killing grilse, and also MSW fish, based on a river by river "model" that wasn't even developped here. So many excuses to just keep on killing salmon, which are dwindling....

After all, fishing mortality is pretty much the only parameter we actually do have control over, and that we can stop. And we won't even do that... :rolleyes: Oh well.... Sorry for letting the steam out on a Friday afternoon.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
528 Posts
I totally agree with you there Topher. I've been saying it for a while; we need to preach by example. Only then can we start influencing others in the direction we feel is right. And as a Quebecois, you can't imagine my frustration with the current management system which yearly justifies killing grilse, and also MSW fish, based on a river by river "model" that wasn't even developped here. So many excuses to just keep on killing salmon, which are dwindling....

After all, fishing mortality is pretty much the only parameter we actually do have control over, and that we can stop. And we won't even do that... :rolleyes: Oh well.... Sorry for letting the steam out on a Friday afternoon.
No apology is necessary Simon,
The brutal facts alone indicate what is necessary to reverse the decline in salmon and steelhead. A total moratorium on international commercial netting as well as with our own native “subsistence” gill netting, and sport fishing on any rivers with low or threatened returns. C & R will have to be instituted and enforced on all other rivers as keeping a Grilse is no longer sustainable. Salmon rivers will need to be monitored and temporarily closed during periods like this with low flows and high temps to reduce C & R mortality rates. Fishing tackle regs would also help to increase the survival rates upon release.
In conjunction with these tough regs, habitat destruction would have to be eliminated and that means clear cut logging would have to be prohibited in salmon and steelhead River watersheds. No half ass compromises by our politicians, NGOs or govt agencies will suffice to prevent the extinction of these magnificent fish and the myriad species, including spey anglers, that are physically or spiritually dependent upon them.
Regards from Mann’s Pool on the Restigouche....Jim

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brian, Topher, Jim, many thanks for your interesting, constructive and straightforward views on all this. It is much appreciated. I do agree with most of it. It's so sad to see this amazing species, the basis of what many of us love to do, still slowly going downhill. And in the name of profit (or membership), so many people still won't take basic mesures they can towards reducing the decline. Maybe I expect too much from people... :unsure:
Anyways, I wish you all a great season wherever you are allowed to fish.

Cheers!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Salar the numbers of fishing boats around Iceland is due to the amount of fishing cod, haddock, herring, Caplin, etc. they do not target salmon. There are salmon that get into the nets occasionally but they are not commercially fishing for salmon as it is illegal. They do have issues with more fish farming taking place up there unfortunately so that has become an issue. Also there is a huge amount fish farming now taking place in the Faroe Islands this started about 10-15 years ago. The Greenland issue sucks as they are getting paid not to fish for salmon so they take the money and then fish for them anyway. Then they always blame that they go way over the limit because there is no organization and not clear on who is catching what, etc. It is all BS. I agree on anglers having to play their part and perform catch and release. The sad or scary part is even rivers in Iceland that are totally catch and release and have been for close to 20 years like the Big Laxa which Orri used to fish often are not seeing numbers improve. These rivers have no issue with natives netting or poaching, logging, etc and still the numbers decline so one Would conclude it’s an ocean issue. Scary to think about the Canadian rivers that have to deal with the ocean plus everything else in the estuaries and rivers. Iceland’s salmon season opened similar to what you describe in Canada very few fish, but they were not expecting many MSW salmon due to the low grilse numbers last year. So as usual wait to see if there is a grilse run.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There's NO fish farms in the Greenland area !

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Simon and Topher you both have a PM regarding C&R ( or maybe) in Quebec

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Indeed John, the situation is more complicated than just Catch and Release as a solution to increasing numbers. There are obviously other factors at play. But it is the one we do have control over and can positively change. It's the Low Hanging Fruit of the situation. Every little bit counts!

Cheers!

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
528 Posts
Topher says: "Atlantic salmon fishermen do NOT do it." (regarding C&R).
Blanket statements don't always cut it. We certainly do it on the Miramichi.
Gary
I think he may have been thinking of the Matapedia where he has fished and where killing a salmon or grilse in the ZEC is still tolerated and continues to be a local tradition. C & R is mandatory on the Restigouche and the practice of keeping a tasty grilse has been ended on the Crown Reserve waters.
Regards.....Jim

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Topher: "If you or I could come up with a way to put an additional 43.5 tonnes of Atlantic salmon on the spawning beds, do you think there would be any interest? There is a way. It's called catch-and-release or live-release angling. Bass fishermen do it. Trout fishermen do it. Bonefish fishermen do it. Permit fishermen do it. Tarpon fishermen do it. Atlantic salmon fishermen do NOT do it."

Guess we'll have to give Topher the benefit of the doubt. As a well-known figure in the world of Atlantic salmon fishing though, he might be just a tad more careful when he makes comments about that particular brand of fishing. Not everyone that reads his statement might be as dialed in to fishing for Atlantic salmon and could come away with the wrong idea. That's all. Certainly agree with him about putting that additional 43.5 tonnes on the spawning beds, though!
Gary

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lets not get carried away or upset about a few words. The message behind the words, that I took away, is that compared to bass, bonefish, tarpon, Musky, fishermen, who are probably in the 98.5% Catch and Release (if not more), Salmon fishermen still have an imprtant fraction that keep their catch where that is legal. And that is also MY understanding. If I'm not mistaken, NB has been catch and release for MSW fish for a LOOOONG time, hasn't it? And Grilse for a certain amount of years now (since DFO imposed it)?

I think it's safe to say that in places where harvest is still allowed, there is still an important fraction of people who do. At least in Quebec that's the case...

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yes, NB has been c&r for msw's for some years, and grilse for awhile now, too. "A few words" have been known to cause problems throughout history. I recall a few words on January 6, 2021 that caused a few problems. As someone who works hard for Atlantic salmon conservation in NB, particularly as a board member of both U.S and Canada boards of directors of the Miramichi Salmon Assoc., and has contributed thousands of dollars worth of flies, shadow box framings and fly fishing "furniture" to its fundraisers, I have pretty thin skin about "a few words" when they are patently wrong, and the author should know better.
There, I'm done.
Gary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts