Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all honesty, I have skipped over this pattern quite a few times and it never really tickled my fancy til Jin and Bob shared their work this last week. I really enjoyed tying this pattern for its complexity and of course, its fishy allure.

I would swing this flee with confidence during the fall if someone robbed me of my stock of Little Wangs, Greaseliners, and muddlers.

This is on a sz 1, lost a bit of the teal underwing on the near side (but of course, it shows up on the back side really nicely:roll:). Then the back side mallard roof gets ornery...sheesh. I wanna brush this out, but it's going to a coworker as part of a gift...it may never see water (a terrible predicament for a working flee). :devil:

Thank you all for the inspirations,
Adrian

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Beautiful work Adrian!! You know, as I look at the proportions that you are using on this fly, I'm thinking of ways to tie up something much simpler on those big, heavy, stocky 7970s I have for dry line steelhead swinging. I've been trying to think of ways to make those stubby hooks like good.

Todd

·
Registered
895 Posts
It's wonderful how infectious a pattern can get!

Now there's an additional, incredible tie to inspire even more!!

Thanks for another great post,

-Bill

·
Administrator
18,162 Posts
A pretty little flee my Brother :)
I think we have all been inspired lately with this pattern , so easily done when it is tied so fancy and looking so pretty :smokin:
It's going to make a great gift Adrian , wonderful work .

Mike

·
Registered
997 Posts
Adrian.

Beautiful tie, your fly tho containing no copper color gives me the impression of copper hues and is fishy as all get out. I love the first photo showing the fly and your "tools". Having given tying in a fly in hand a couple of times, mucho respect for tyers like yourself and many others here that not only embrace and enjoy tying the old way but also showcase your passion and skills inspiring others to attempt the same thus ensuring that the traditions of our sport's past will continue well into the future.

Right on!

Let the inspiration ball keep on rolling, some thing that I find exceptionally cool about the hooks, feathers and floss section of these pages.

Cheers.
J.

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
nice post Adrian

Love that fly - but I also love that you are tying on old Mustads. Most of us who started fishing before 1980 learned to tie using Mustad or Herters hooks. Modern chemically sharpened hooks are generally sharper, but tying on Mustads helped me develop the habit of touching the points up just a bit with a hard Arkansas stone before tying. To me, there is something workman-like about Mustads. Never much cared for the Herters hooks as they were so hard they were brittle and more than once I found I was casting a pretty fly with no point - having lost the point when I ticked a rock on a backcast. Yeah, it seems a tad incongruous to tie such a work of art using a workman pallette, but I like it. Mustad is as much a part of fly tying history as Pryce-Tennant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts