Spey Pages banner

artic fox or craft fur?

10K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  bigrbart 
#1 ·
Has anyone used craft fur when the pattern calls for arctic fox? has it been tried and is it succesfull in the water... I think it would look good on the vise but not
sure if making the flies and not have a good fly to catchsteelhead. The properties look similar. just wondering.....

#4 ·
Craft fur can, of course, be used as a substitute for many natural furs, including arctic fox, and makes a reasonable substitute for fishing flies, but it's not the same.

The usual argument for it's use is that 'no animal was killed to produce it', but you have to comfortable with the carbon footprint used to make the artificial fibres (from oil-derived products), and the poisonous chemicals used to dye it (or at least the disposal of the poisonous chemicals from the dye run-off in the far east where most of these fibres are made extremely cheaply).

I prefer the natural fibres of fox etc....

Mike

#8 ·
Why add more plastic in to environment ? :confused:
Such a fly will stay for a lot of years on bottom of river when natural furs disappeared during season or two .
I personally do not like to work with synthetic material of course except flashes. this is difficult to replace . OK maybe little bit by shiny natural hairs like pb or some goats etc.
simply I like to feel natural material under my fingers :)
I think that argument that source of fur are from animal is rather for "green ' fanatics not for us who has hobby as we have . :chuckle:

#13 ·
Remember the line in Clint Eastwood's movie 'Unforgiven' when William Munny says, "I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another" I'm no William Munny but I've tied flies from about anything that walks, crawls or flies at one time or another. And I've used craft Fur too :eek:

Until I was able to find goat hair long enough for some patterns (4 - 5") I subbed CF for the long fibers. It works just fine if used, I've changed now, I don't use craft fur or drink the way I did, my wife Nancy she cleared me of all them evil ways. Now I use goat.

I think I should get an award here for using more Clint Eastwood quotes over the years than any other member :D

#15 ·
I've got a Yorkshire Terrier & she stands 12" high at the shoulders - she is classic black back and tan face/neck and paws. Her longest fur is 12" & pure black! However, she will keep all her own fur ... not even been tempted to pinch a lock of it!! ;)

Mike

#17 ·
I began tying my Miramichi favorite black ghost in the smaller sizes with kraft fur a few years ago. I think it works at least as well as any of the natural materials. It is made a little unevenly so it has a natural taper, and perhaps as importantly as anything it is virtually indestructible for normal fishing use. Good stuff.

#21 ·
do you a photo of the fly?would like to see it if I can.. thanks
Here tis. The wing is white fly fur, the body is mohair. I tie the fly with both floss and mohair, but all things considered I have caught more fish over the years on the fussier version. The throat is some yellow hackle. The real acid test of these flies is in the water and whether or not they catch fish. In sizes 6 through 10, tied in this manner, this is a great Atlantic salmon fly. It is also very productive in larger sizes, but then I use bucktail. The original question was about fly fur, and I like it best in these smaller sized flies.

#20 ·
Craft Fur rocks, but I would not call it a substitute. Marabou is marabou, fox is fox, Finn **** is Finn ****. To me a substitute is a material that mimics a material that is no longer available or a material that has become illegal to purchase. Seal sub, Indian Crow sub, florican sub, etc. With that said, can you substitute different materials when tying an established pattern? You bet you can. The finished product then becomes a variant of the original pattern. Dec turned me onto craft fur,many moons ago. He ties a marabou fly using craft fur for the tail. I was pretty much a natural material snob, till Dec set me straight. A touch of synthetic if incorporated correctly can make a positive difference. Craft Fur has a number of advantages, one, it has a very good sink rate. It spins in a dubbing loop and the colors are endless. "Your hook, your rules." Don't limit your self, as I had. Only you can choose the terms of how you fish, might as well fish the way that brings you the most joy.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=63896

Attachments

#23 ·
Mike - not well focused, but... In the water the fly really looks great. That particular fly has caught a great many Miramichi salmon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.