Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about a spey sized Ari T hart reel. The biggest one I found that they make is the LA V, What size lines could one expect to fit on this reel with an adequate amount of backing. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Brian...

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd bet Jim Williams of "Just Reels" does know. A Goggle search should bring him right up.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hmmm... looks like midway between Danielsson LW 8/12 and a tibor riptide. I used to run a 6/7/8 windcutter on my riptide with plenty of backing. You can probably get a windcutter 7/8/9 and close to 200 yds of 30 lb backing on the hart. Or just get two LW 8/12s for the same price :saevilw:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally cleaned the inbox out a bit. It doesn't sound like the LA V has the capacity for long belly lines, I suppose thats what you run into with large arbor reels these days. Anyway, thanks for the replies guys and if anyone out there owns the LA V let me know what lines it will take.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As in drool from the newfoundland dog, there is nothing quite like it on this earth. Since I have awhole herd of newfs there is no shortage of drool :hihi:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Woburn...

How is your "lite stick" working out?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re sage 5120

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well.

Not getting as much action as I would like, kinda busy with work. Took it out last week and had a couple of nice rainbows to about 2lb. The rod is great. Not sure the windcutter 5/6 is the answer, particularly for stillwater work which is what i'm doing at the moment. Too much roll casting to get the line back out. I think it will be fine for sea trout on the rivers. I'm hoping to head up north towards the end of August so I'll let you know. (If we get some rain)

Been looking at some of the posts Grandpa Spey has been putting up re the 5120 and I'm going to try some heads on it when I get 5 minutes to myself. I think shorter and a bit heavier might be the way forward.

Cheers,

Sam

J

·
0 Posts
For the record, the LA V is listed as holding 250m of 30lb with a WF10F single handed line. I would think that a 7/8 shortbelly spey would be it unless one wanted to mess with GSP or make do with less than an optimal amount of backing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts