Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent tied many Dees, first go in a couple month,

Iron: 3/0 Harrison Bartleet Dee (Gut Sub)
Tag: Med French Oval Silver
Tail: GP
Butt: O Herl
Body: (Rear) UTC Med Embossed Gold / Med French Oval Silver (Front) Seal
Hackle: Dub Looped RHEA
Collar: Goose "Spey" hackle
Cheeks: JC
Wing: Argus

Cheers Everyone

Matt

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
I've never personally liked Dees that much, but this one stands out! Super fishy. I love how sparse it is! Best Dee I've ever seen.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I've never personally liked Dees that much, but this one stands out! Super fishy. I love how sparse it is! Best Dee I've ever seen.
Wow, thanks, thats awesome! I think it doesnt stand out unless the argus is on it, I was so lucky to have almost identical barring on the two slips, I know usually guys use the opposite side without the "eye" but i couldnt help it! its the first dee Ive tied in months...

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Dees

Someone's batting a 1000

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Matt: This is a handsome, expertly tied fly. As far as design/function is concerned: One or two less barbules in each of the wings would have taken it to the summit. Or you might consider slightly decreasing their angle. Just thinkin.........

dave

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matt: This is a handsome, expertly tied fly. As far as design/function is concerned: One or two less barbules in each of the wings would have taken it to the summit. Or you might consider slightly decreasing their angle. Just thinkin.........

dave
I definitely fought the choice between making nice thin strips and displaying the beauty of the Argus, had no real plan on this one till it finished too lol. In the end once the wing was set with the matched barring it had to stay. It will sit on a cork for a while till I decide who to send it to...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Pretty fly Matt. The use of the rhea is exceptional, IMO, nice ! I agree an ever so slightly thinner wing would put it over the top.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty fly Matt. The use of the rhea is exceptional, IMO, nice ! I agree an ever so slightly thinner wing would put it over the top.
That is remedied easy enough, if you had to Choose would you slip out 2 barbs from the center or the outside?

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
hmmm, theres so much clean work here but the proportions seem just a touch off to my eye. I think its something with the wing and tail angles. I tend to like to see both set lower. I see a lot of wing, and the rest of the fly is so subdued.

I love Dees more than speys, and think the entire game is nailing proportions, as they aren't very hard to tie. and I prefer them with low sexy wings rather than propped up wings. not just for appearance, but so far i find the lower wings swing better than propped wings. the high set wings are more prone to spinning or laying to one side.

The good news is i did a dee just like this one since its penguins and steelers colors, minus the argus, but still a very figured wing. with the tinsel body and the wing it looks pretty cool in the water. and sinks fast too!

You tie a really mean fly and have tinsel and body crafting skills far beyond many experienced tiers. your work is super tidy like Dmitri (sorry about spelling), and something about that style is a treat for the eyes.

you also take a great photo.

have a good one

Matt Z

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Side View

Thought Id actually include the side view of the fly, why i didnt post it in the original. I dont know....

·
River Rat
307 Posts
Here's a good example of (IMO) proper set Dee wings:

This is a Gardener tied by Harry Lemire. The image was borrowed from Ronn Lucas' site.

I also really dig the wings on the Harry Lemire "Skagit Dee" example, also from Ronn Lucas' site:

the only other thing I would say is the dubbed body could be a bit longer, for proportion/balance, but I've never heard a fish complain about that aspect of a fly.

the rhea hackle loop is killer

·
Registered
514 Posts
Dee

She's definately a head-turner!
Great combo of materials-a strip or two less on the wing would balance her out more for the swim-just peel from either the outer or inner edge. Immerse yourself in all the Dees on feathersfliesandphantoms site if you haven't already.
By the way, I was talking to Bob Fransden (who has tied many of the flies on feathersflies...site) over on the Classicflytying forum(another forum you should check out) and he said that many of the antique speys he has restored have doubled strips of mallard in the original wing. You're on a roll here, keep going. Fine work.

Tom

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I kinda feel the opposite of a lot of the guys, as much as I love the look of a real low wing set on Dees I prefer the more upright style, like you would a simple strip wing but backwards so they curve out, I dig this thing and love to see different winging materials in Dees.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I rekon she is saucy and ready to fish! And i guess everyone has their own preference for dee wings, mine being huge and wide so i get that 'drift and flight' in the tail outs without any flipping, really large white wings are excellent too as you can see them from a long way away.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's definately a head-turner!
Great combo of materials-a strip or two less on the wing would balance her out more for the swim-just peel from either the outer or inner edge. Immerse yourself in all the Dees on feathersfliesandphantoms site if you haven't already.
By the way, I was talking to Bob Fransden (who has tied many of the flies on feathersflies...site) over on the Classicflytying forum(another forum you should check out) and he said that many of the antique speys he has restored have doubled strips of mallard in the original wing. You're on a roll here, keep going. Fine work.

Tom
Thank you sir, I have Bob on the friends list already, he helped me a bit on my speys, havent spoke much about dees it, I will though...

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I kinda feel the opposite of a lot of the guys, as much as I love the look of a real low wing set on Dees I prefer the more upright style, like you would a simple strip wing but backwards so they curve out, I dig this thing and love to see different winging materials in Dees.
Thank you Mr Browning, I can see the beauty in both styles for sure!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts