Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brockton
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm looking for a 10'6 or 11' 2H rod that will cast a single H 5wt double taper and bend through the butt section, should I build up one of the ARE blanks? If so, which? 2/3? 3/4?

Or should I save up the extra $$ for the new Echo Glass 3wt switch? I've been rebuilding a couple of vintage glass single handers and really like them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
“bend through the butt section with a SH – DT5”

David,

I would consider the ARE 3pc 11ft 2/3wt then. Not that the Echo isn’t a nice rod, but the ARE will bend deeper with a lighter line. I currently don’t have this ARE to test a DT5 for you at the house, but my daughter has asked for me to make a rod up for her on this very blank. I know of a couple of others that specifically use this rod with a DT5. However, your mileage may vary, etc.

If you can build the rod out yourself, your investment would be quite low.

Robert

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the ARE 11" 2/3 wt and the Echo 3wt graphite.

I put them together side by side. Stuck the handles under a kitchen chair and hung 1/4 oz. jig heads from the tip to see how these rods would compare to each other. The ARE flexed more with the same amount weight. It has been a few months since I did this experiment, but I remember the ARE flexed farther down the rod. I'm still experimenting with lines on both rods.

The wulff ambush 5 works alright with some polyleaders on the ARE but haven't tried it on the echo. I also tried the rio scandi 210 with so so results on the ARE but seemed to work a lot better on the Echo SR.

Will be trying it the next time I get a chance to do some line testing.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
What is ARE?

Sorry, But what is ARE? Google did not bring me any results. Can anyone link me to source of ARE blanks, please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts