Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just ordered a new blank from ARE for a Salmon trip I am going on at the end of June. Last year I have a Wulf Triangle taper on and 8wt and it lacked the power to drive a giant (2inch plus) bomber out as well as I would have liked. One of the guys I fished with was using a bonefishing line, but he was not totally happy with it either. If anyone has any thoughts let me know and even better if you have a line you would be willing to trade or sell.

Regards

Brayden

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
One area you might play with is your leader. An Ambush is an animal for power and turnover. If the leader is not up to the job it's going to simply fold, especially with a big bulky tie.

There are some new style lines out there that might work out better, a little longer taper yet cut fat for the power. Scientific Anglers Titan Taper would be worth a peek.. Many Muskie guys seem to really like it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you suggest for the leader? I was just using 8 feet of 15 pound Floro. Guides recommendation, which I thought was weird but who am I to argue. The Ambush would drive the fly well for about 40-45 feet then the wind drag on the fly would slow everything down and it would require a massive amount of muscle to get out beyond that. Maybe i am expecting too much with the fly and a single hand rod, compared to the two hander?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Did your leader and fly turn over fully? Pretty sure the guide and I would not have been on same page with that plan..

I'm no expert so just kicking thoughts around here.. Shorter heads turn over a lot faster and can limit distance. Initially I'd try lengthening and beefing up your leader. If you have a 8' - 10' Steelhead / Salmon floating Poly, try it. They can kind of replicate and increase lines taper. Play with different lengths and types of tippit. I've got a Airflo 7.5' Bonefish Poly that has worked well with 3' - 4' of 0X tippit and Bass bugs. Unsure if they have a heavier core or not.

If building or choosing a leader the old standby of matching the lines tip area bend / flex properties is solid. Guessing a butt dia of approx. .025 would be a good starting point

I'd get my hands on a good quality Pike or Bass line and try it as well for comparison.

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Zen I think shotgunner is right on here a little longer head flies better. Or I would think a knotless tapered mono leader could get the job done. They're made in so many configurations something tapered for big wind resistant bugs is available. Rio,or Umpqua are my go to's.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
My first thoughts where with an Ambush line. Did you mean Triangle Taper in the OP?

Likewise with the Ambush, I'd look at 15 foot leaders. Even 17 feet is not out of the question.

Another vote for bass-bug tapers.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Bang on. It was a Triangle Taper I lent him...:rolleyes:

My first thoughts where with an Ambush line. Did you mean Triangle Taper in the OP?

Likewise with the Ambush, I'd look at 15 foot leaders. Even 17 feet is not out of the question.

Another vote for bass-bug tapers.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made the edit Preston,a nd I will do some reading about the Ambush line. See if I can track one down. Just got a message saying the blank is more like a 10wt then an 8wt. Trying to see if I can get it swapped for something lighter.

Brayden

·
just one more cast...
163 Posts
Triangle taper

Brayden,

I've been fishing Wulff TT lines for A. Salmon for a number of years now, my favorite lines for single-hander fishing. I was advised early on to cut back the Triangle Taper tip a couple of feet for throwing bigger flies (including Bombers), which I always have done. You might give this a try, maybe chop a foot-at-a-time, I think this will give you good results. TT lines have a really long gradual front taper, great for delicacy, but not so good for driving big bushy Bombers.
Just my .02,

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts