Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a glitchy laptop and a tablet that I dislike typing on, I've mostly been posting on Instagram as it's a lot more compatible with photo uploads.Tonight, I stole my wife's laptop and I get on here and it's remarkable how some of the recent flies posted are some of the flies I have worked on for the Fly Fishing Collaborative donations or I have recently thought about tying up:eek: Jin's, CJ's, Josh's to name a few. And these are patterns not on the "usual suspects" (Tolfrey, Rogan, etc.)

Well, I'm late to the party as usual but I will post some of the flies for fun. All tied in hand and all for FFC (somewhere floating around in Postville right now)

Tying William Blacker's no.6 from "Handbook of Angling"

the Black Dose

the Namsen a variant of Timo Kontio

the Switcher #9 of Tolfrey's 20 "select" salmon flies in Jones's Guide to Norway "...Carefully selected by some of the most accomplished salmon anglers that ever threw a line"

a "Forgotten" Rogan pattern...this flee looks super fishy in hand...kid you not

The last 2 flies are "the Baker". #7 of Tolfrey's top 20. The first I married and it was okay, but I dig the fishy-looking flees of the old days so I mixed the wing on a different platform and I prefer it better for fishing. Either will fish well methinks.

Hope you all are enjoying your loved ones this season. Cheers and Merry Christmas with a joyous New Year!

Adrian

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am humbled. You, sir, are an amazing talent! There could never be enough photos of your flies posted Adrian, thank you for sharing them here for my viewing pleasure.
CA

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
damn

I remember a time when someone said 'you must've tied that with your bare hands' was considered derogatory.

and I like to pretend (see: bs) that the only reason I haven't tried this is because I paid so much for my vise.

seriously, mate... remarkable tying,

cheers,
shawn

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
Great post brother :)
Amazing display of talent and commitment to the ways of our fore-fathers :)
All are exceptional , but that Black Dose is screaming at me :smokin:
The underwater shot of the GH gets me all giddy too !!

Adrian , I know the feeling of being "disconnected" . I work up in northern Ontario on a remote project with limited internet access . With the new format of the Speypages I cannot view this forum from my dorm room and only at the office . This leaves little time to view posts , comment and interact with friends .

Mike

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Adrian your work is so good you weren't even posting here and you were still the one that inspired the party! Thanks for sharing these guys again, all so very fishy!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Stellar work.
Question on your wings....for mixers, do you do it Kelson style (layered strips (not married) then brush) or do you do like Jin, Marry individual fibers, then brush?

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
terrific - as usual

Really like the Swisher. I know you tied those for charity, but you might want one of those for your favorite run. Curious Adrian, when you tie seal bodies, are you using the real deal, or a sub, or a combo? I often put a similarly colored polypro base on my thread before putting on seal, but that may not be kosher.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike, you sure that ain't the Gulag where they got you? Working in ice and isolation isn't my idea of a career, comrade. I jest, Brother:devil:. Just know that your encouragements and friendship over the years have affected me positively in more ways than just the tying realm.

Fellows, thank you for your nice words.

Eunan, I play with both mixed wing techniques (all depending on my materials and also if I want the fly to be sparse for the winter dryline sink). The Black Dose and Namsen above are Kelson-style mixed wings, the mixed Baker and Rogan flee is the way Jin does it)

I tend to lean towards marrying then brushing as it is more conducive to less bulk but a more sparse, yet full-looking wing. Kelson works fine if one is not to enamored by fishing the sunk fly. I have to find a happy medium with my tying due to my self imposed restrictions of the winter dry line and my infatuation of vintage patterns.

Rich, I use seal if I have the correct colors, but sub other furs without hesitation if the seal color is not available. I wish I could use all proper stuff, but the 3 women in my house are watching my allowance like 3 women would:hihi:. I use orange or white Gossamer silk for tying and it suffices for an underbody. I've heard of tyers wrap mylar under the floss or dubbing for that "pop" but I cant afford the extra bulk to my flies as they are already compromised wearing their full dress. What you are doing seems fine by me. No one's ever inspected my flies for proper attire on the beat. I tie and fish to satisfy my own challenges.

In fact, after reading an excerpt from Dry Line Steelhead pg 47 this morning...

"I now fish in full confidence of hooking a number of these "inactive" winter runs each season using surface presentations..." - B. McMillan

...I am more apt to throw on a foam presentation this week.

44*F water temps + fresh winter runs + an Altoid tin full of foam = vintageschmintage! Let's see if these fish play on the surface.:D

Whoops, I just told my wife I'd install an electrical outlet for her. Drats.:lildevl:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'll have to try the Jin technique...or could it be the Whisky Technique as i do like to imbibe an Islay of an evening at the bench....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wonderful work as always Adrian! I know the feeling of being disconnected, too. I've kinda been working in a bubble over here in Yam-tucky. Hoping to fish sometime soon if work/family allows.

Take care,

Aaron

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I still can't believe that these were done in hand, I think that you need to tie about a dozen or so in front of me. Of course I keep the flies!:chuckle:

Simply amazing!!!!!:Eyecrazy:

Always a pleasure to view your creations.

KC

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Adrian:
Crazy nice flies and for a good cause too. Can you make those skate?? I remember that Green Highlander! It looks cool swimming in BC steelhead water.

Great to see you reviewing vintage Dry Line Steelhead. Yep, 44 degrees is when Bill found steelhead's activity levels to increase towards taking on the surface. I see winter skating coming up for you - let's hit the river!

Todd

·
Registered
371 Posts
Due to a glitchy laptop and a tablet that I dislike typing on, I've mostly been posting on Instagram as it's a lot more compatible with photo uploads.Tonight, I stole my wife's laptop and I get on here and it's remarkable how some of the recent flies posted are some of the flies I have worked on for the Fly Fishing Collaborative donations or I have recently thought about tying up:eek: Jin's, CJ's, Josh's to name a few. And these are patterns not on the "usual suspects" (Tolfrey, Rogan, etc.)
Well, I cant speak for the others but I can tell you my recent infatuation with these have been the result of seeing yours and Jin's, you guys have hands of gold for sure. Its not just coincidence, Browning told me about your instagram page and it was all downhill from there!!!

Thanks for the photos, ideas and contributions here, I have really enjoyed these patterns. CJ

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Adrian......where did you hide ...Hahaha !!!
PC had issue is suck....I had same issue with PC beforemay be need another for back up you and me :chuckle:
Always enjoy your post and story !!!!
Great tied my friend....love the under water shot with GH !!

Jin

·
Registered
997 Posts
Adrian!

The Namsen and the Switcher are outta this world brother, super tight. I really like them all but these 2 are super easy on the eyes.

Cheers.
J.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts