Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rainbow/Waterfall/Unicorn
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping anyone that's used both the newer UHM12 and the older IM6 rods, can offer a comparison between the two? Aside from blank weight, action and UHM's funky glitter finish, are they comparable in stated line ratings?

Entertaining building 13' 7/8 and 12' 3/4 weights, and hoping that they are closer to advertised line ratings than the UHM, 12' 7/8 weight that I just completed.
I had never built on any of the ARE blanks and thought I'd wrap this one up just to see what's what. It's more of a 6.5/7 than 7/8, lightweight and fast. I prefer deeper loading, more progressive flex rods, and wondering if the IM6's may be the better choice?

Appreciate any comments/thoughts and personal experiences any may have with them.
(I have read through past posts here regarding JK's rods but didn't see any comparisons between the lower and higher modulus models.)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've built a couple of the IM6 11' 6/7 wt rods. It actually tests out at 7.8wt on the spey scale. I love the rod with a 540 skagit switch and a 510 AF Rage.
I also built the IM6 11' 5/6 wt, thinking it would be spey-rated as such. It tested out as 4.5wt on the spey scale (my misinterpretation of how it was rated, as it is a true 5/6 sh rating) Both rods have a very fast action. I have fished the 11' 6/7wt for over a year, and it has become my favourite rod.
I haven't done anything with the UHM12 models.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a anglers roost 5-6 spey rod ,12 ft, its likes a 350 or 380 scandi head for me and is a very nice casting rod. Handle is a little short to my thinking and cork quality is not great but for price is an excellent casting rod to my thinking. I bought a blank as well as think it is that good of a rod.(will build blank if ever need to) was like a 40 dollar bill if remember right. I bought a 7-8 as well and not as good a caster as the 5-6 wt IMO. For the price you really can,t go wrong and the 5-6 is great if there are any left. the newer blanks I have no experince with . Johnny had some great leather reel cases as well. Daryl

·
Registered
202 Posts
I built a 13' 5/6 on the ARE UHM blank and enjoyed the rod enough to buy the 13' 7/8 blank. Today the 7/8 was complete and I spent the afternoon fishing on the Copper. It exceeded my expectations in every way and seemed to be a perfect match with a Rio 480 gr skagit and 10' of T11. The brown rods I've built from Johnny's stock were in the 2/3 and 3/4 range and not comparable to to the UHM's. Picture on the Dryer:

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have both the IM6 (13') and UHM (12') rod in a 7/8. I use the same lines for both. I use to love the IM6 until I tried the UHM. Well worth the extra $40. I am going to build a 5/6 this winter for stealhead.

Quinn

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone tried ? AR Spey Rod # 3, 12 1/2 ft. 4 Pc., 9/10 wt with 2 Tips Do you think it would be good in the surf
Or what about the AR 4 Piece, 11 Foot, 11/12 weight Switch Rod with fighting butt ?

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Is anyone an authority on the whole A. R. E. rod line, other than Steve Goodshall? Probably not anybody around Williamsville, NY. In the IM6 series, the #4 13' 7/8 is definitely a progressive medium action; the #2 12' 5/6 is a touch faster. Both are correctly rated as to line sizes. In the fast models, the 14' 5/6 is really a 7 or 7/8.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have very little experience with the IM6 rods, but I've built a switch and a single hand rod from his UHM series. Loved both, so I'm now building a 13' 7/8wt. Haven't yet finished it so no chance to take it out on the water. One thing I will say is that it definitely doesn't feel quite as beefy as I would have expected, even wondered if I got a mislabeled blank that's really a 6/7? Testing it with a few lines on the water should tell me much more of course.

Probably not much help there, but I'm happy overall with the UHM blanks that I've used.
Cheers,
JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts