Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across some new glass blanks in spey weights over on Johnny's site. Looks like they're pre-order for now. Had my eye on the 2/3 IM6 but this changes things-

·
Registered
58 Posts
Now that's a bit tempting. But how to decide between the 10' and the 11' 3/4 weight switch?
Any thoughts anyone???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mailman delivered the long-awaited 11' 2/3 blank. Same color as Johnny's glass single handers, and the blank seems pretty solid. I jumped the gun and have the handle assembly already built up and mounted. Flex tests (me standing on the back patio whippin' it around) have it bending to the cork. Pretty sweet.

Anyone heard or seen the grain weights on these? Maybe Mr. Godshall can chime in if he knows -

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Lightsaber...

Just finished up a couple days ago. I used Johnny's handle kit - I ended up cutting it down some and making it a downlocker. I'm not in love with the reel seat, but the weight was worth hanging onto it. It balances nicely with an old school System 1 clicker. Thread matches the seat insert.

I tossed varying lengths of a DT5 around and have a 4wt Ambush coming. We'll see how well that matches up this weekend. Take a look-

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking good, Flankfeather.
I've got the same handle kit and I'm not loving the reel seat either. It's too long I reckon - 4 1/2 inches just feels unbalanced.
When you say you cut it down, what exactly did you do?
Kym

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kymg,
The handle now sits at 18", similar to other switches I own. It might be a titch longer but the blank is slightly heavier too. I chopped both the lower and upper handle and basically did away with the recessed portion of the upper, and then recessed the lower to accommodate that hood. I left the seat itself alone. I knew that turning the cork down was out of the question...

My opinion is that it's super tippy, yes, but it has some soul in the bottom end. Tip recovery is faster than you'd think, too. My Echo Glass 4wt is a great scandi rod, and this feels faster. More to come -

·
Registered
150 Posts
It is a pretty build and I too love the look of the glass blank. I think Steve described it as "very tippy scandi style".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bud, honestly I don't think there are too many rivers near Sydney that are tailor made for these little switches. The closest trout to Sydney are over 150 km away and most of the flowing water in that region is in very small streams. There are a few lakes that hold good fish, so the switch is a definite option there. But it's not the only rod I'd pack is I was going over the mountains to fish. I'd pack it for sure if I was going to New Zealand (only a 3 hour flight ) or travelling further afield to the Snowy Mountains.
However I'm also keen to try casting gurglers and popper off a floating tip and see how that goes. There are some productive Australian Bass waters closer to Sydney where back casting room is limited. All I need to do is build the rod first!
Hope that helps a bit
Kym

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kim, I have been using the one Robert (txTrout) built up for me on a nearby warm water tailwater. I have tried a 200 gr OPST Commando as well as their 175 gr. Also a 200 gr 15 foot skagit I made with the slice and dice method. All three of these worked well. I have been using 10' poly leaders and a variety of flies. I did try a foam popper with a floating tip and had some trouble casting it as the popper would dig in and really stick with a skagit cast. I could overhead cast it a mile though. I tried using a head made from the front end of a salmon double taper. My thought was using it as a scandi sort of thing. 200 gr and 15 feet using a poly leader. Worked OK but not as well as the others. I did catch a large number fish including some Striped Bass in the 14 inch range. The 3 wt rod made them a lot of fun.

I asked where you were fishing out of curiosity. I layover in Sydney frequently but only for 24 hours. Looks like my best option is booking a trip fishing the harbour with a local guide.

Good luck with your rod. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bud,
Thanks for the info re heads for that little rod
Justin Duggan is the guy to book if you want to flyfish Sydney Harbour and you only have limited time.
I hope its ok to post the link, mods.
sydneyflyfishing .com.au/]Sydney Flyfishing Tours | Flyfish Beautiful Sydney Harbour

·
Registered
342 Posts
I talked to Justin. He stays pretty booked up. He has a good reputation. We will eventually get our schedules matched up and give it a go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts