Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built this rod up this winter and finally had a chance to cast her today - absolute breeze throwing streamers with a 7 weight Ambush. Did not get to feel a pull on it, but my sense is any decent trout in current will be fun with this! Balances perfectly with a Marquis 8/9 (same as SA System 8).

Hope I get a bend on her soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I built this same rod last year. Have never lined it or tried to cast it.

What's the grain weight of the Ambush 7?

I was hoping the grain window of this rod would be 210-250.

I also have the 12' 2/3 and use a 210 head on it.

·
Rainbow/Waterfall/Unicorn
138 Posts
Are 3/4

Sounds like the Ambush 7wt works well on your 3/4 jalthoff. I wrapped the same rod a few months back (still yet to get it out on the water though...), that I found a discontinued, SA single hand Skagit 260 gr for. Cool to hear I'll be in the wheelhouse with it.

I'd also like to know what type of finish you used on your wraps? Very clean and level!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finish is spar varnish - takes a little longer (4 or 5 thin coats!) but comes out great. Picked it up from the fiberglass crowd - a little old school, and I guess there is some long term "yellowing" risk, but I hate the bubbles I always get with epoxy - no doubt user error on my part!:saeek:

Ambush 7 weight is 265 grains for the 20' head .....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
To avoid bubbles I use an epoxy mixer (circular mixer with weight rolling in it). That cuts down bubbles a lot and then I also use a plastic bottle flame torch. Both can be found in most rod building supply shops.

Other key thing is to apply and dry in a dust free environment. If you look at your dried wraps under a flashlight you'll be shocked to see how much dust is in the epoxy...:eek:

Finish is spar varnish - takes a little longer (4 or 5 thin coats!) but comes out great. Picked it up from the fiberglass crowd - a little old school, and I guess there is some long term "yellowing" risk, but I hate the bubbles I always get with epoxy - no doubt user error on my part!:saeek:

Ambush 7 weight is 265 grains for the 20' head .....

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts