Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody provide information about a reel I have? It is an Aquarex 400, I was told was made by Sharpes. It is 4" in diameter and the spool is 1.1" wide. There does not appear to be any drag control on it. I've googled and come up with zero. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aquarex 400

Hi,

are you sure this is a fly reel and not a centre pin reel?
IS it possibly to switch off the raspy?

Thanks for your answer,
Ferenc

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I believe this is the caged design without rim control? If so I believe the internal spring/pawl can be swapped for right or left hand wind. It was designed as a fly reel & was the larger size of a range including a trout size, number 385. The salmon size I saw featured a double line guard so it does not need reversing when changing from right to left hand wind & had an aluminium reel foot.
One was sold last year on a UK website, with some paint loss, at £45.00, but it looks like a good solid reel patterned after a Hardy St Aiden type design.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow! That was back in November, 2006!

Tyke is correct. It's a big fly reel and not a pinner. No drag adjustment screw but is set such that it'd take a damn good size fish to spool me. Cannot be palmed but can be fingered easily enough. The drag sound rivals a Hardy. Not recommended for poachers. Is reversible and the line guard is double so it does not need to be unscrewed and moved.
Salmon Chaser (Dwayne) helped me with the initial identification way back in late 2006. There are some other threads regarding Aquarex reels on this site. They were made by or for Sharpes years ago.

Additional information: I recalled that Salmon Chaser found that these reels were made by JW Young for Sharpes. Also, there are pictures of my reel and some real beauties of others' in the February, 2007 thread below.

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=24931&highlight=aquarex

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Was it as long ago as that?

Oh hell, I must be getting really old!

Weren't the Farlows Python reels quite similar to these?

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Was it as long ago as that?

Oh hell, I must be getting really old!

Weren't the Farlows Python reels quite similar to these?

Regards, Tyke.
Sounds right I have a Python narrow that has no acjustment ,hoped for a bit more capacity when i bought it ,but does well with lighter heads!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sharpe's Aquarex Reels

I've just come across this post - Aquarex Salmon reels were made in Aberdeen by Sharpe's. The same design was made for Farlow's, in several sizes, as the Python, Viper etc. They were made until the early 80's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.