Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an all thumbs and no patience kind of guy...dingles and mike throw me a few bones now and again to try and inspire me...and even though i got a legal weed shop next door and it would probably help in the frustration department...man, just not that guy!!!

One thing i do everyday is look at this section and admire the rest of your skills..and i tell myself one day...and then i go back to my whore flies to compete with the never ending banana expresses were getting out here and no vis.

I'd had enough this weekend....couldn't tie one more ugly intruder looking thing or triple tube lochness fly....Decided to tie some for my summer box and just fool around....

the little buggy one is one that my buddy Gene let me have one of and worked great for those big trout on the CW....the other is just something i did that is all about what i get from here....ugly and not well tied but inspired to do better each and every time by the professionals on here...

Many thanks guys, it's been a long warm winter and you've been helping me through it...

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,098 Posts
I think you're doing well Paul :)
Keep tying those summer flies and you'll be golden :)

I tied a Blue Charm and a Green Butt Skunk today to bring on warmer weather thoughts ... I started thinking about clear flows and eager steelhead holding behind large rocks waiting for a hair wing to come coasting by ....

Then I looked in the backyard and saw the three feet of snow on the ground ... :hihi::hihi:

Mike

·
Registered
658 Posts
The energy came thru

Before i even saw the flies i knew that u had a vision and somwhere to come from

They all look like they should...the tecniques will come in time and all that but they look like swinginging flies to me

Nice work

D

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
that banana or Hawaiian express - either way - can be areal downer. Bright side is the rivers will eventually drop-in. 3 feet vis and then you are golden.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Your flies are fine. I've been lucky enough to spend some time around a few steelhead "Legends" and every single one has told me its not the fly its the presentation. I might be wrong but i don't think Steelhead grab flies based on how good it has been tied. At least i have never had a steelhead tell me he grabbed my fly cause it was tied perfectly. It's more important to fish the fly correctly than have it tied perfectly.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
your all very generous with your compliments....
these flee's will fish (hopefully) and the all your tips have helped a LOT..
I'm trying to tie at least 6 each time and usually #4 or so starts to turn out OK :chuckle: which is actually a good thing as that really makes a difference...

I'll get a nice box done for summer runs and maybe fish a few this spring IF the water drops and clears..

Main thing though is how much i enjoy and appreciate all the good ties i see on here and it does inspire me to try to do more myself!!

Thank you!!!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
TimW,

Although you are absolutely correct that steelhead don't care what the fly looks like. In fact, they don't really care what color it is virtually all the time. Your statement that presentation is king is right on!

That said, there are many of us who tie flies for these magnificent fish and many who fish for them who don't tie flies much prefer to tie and fish aesthetically pleasing, well-tied flies for the simple reason they give us pleasure to do so. Plus, as Alec Jackson says, "Such magnificent fish as Atlantic Salmon and Steelhead deserve to be fished for with beautiful and aesthetically pleasing flies."

And as anyone who has fished for trout or other game fish knows, the fish don't care if a fly is well-tied and gorgeous, the fish only cares if it approximates food in size and color, appeals to its territorial instincts, or it curiosity. However, virtually all fisherman given a choice of a well-tied, gorgeous fly, or a poorly tied, poorly proportioned, very rough-looking fly will choose the well-tied one even though he knows both will catch a fish. But the well-tied, gorgeous one will hold up to many fish, the poorly tied one won't.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
In any water, regardless of a number of fish, 80% of fish holds in 10-20% of water, so I would say reading the water is #1 follow by presentation.
However, properly tied ( as it was already stated) not only will survived many fish, but also often can entice a fish better then other due to its action. Even a wild, relatively fresh fish can be hesitant sometimes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts