Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experimenting with shooting heads as the river i am currently fishing (lower river tay) requires really long casts.
I have noticed a lot of the old hands use amnesia running line and i was wondering if any of the modern running lines such as guideline lrl or rio powerflex will shoot just as far??
chee:) rs

·
Registered
236 Posts
For pure shootability AND handling ease, it's pretty tough to beat either Airflo's Memory Release Mono (MRM) or Rio's Slickshooter. The stuff just goes and goes...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I,ve been using Guideline LRL with Guideline heads- shoots a long way and is very managable. Have also used the G/Line flat beam but I find it less nonchalant user friendly:)

Will

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Rio Slickshooter

Rio Slickshooter 50 lb. is my choice for distance - Lawrence

·
Registered
638 Posts
guideline shooter 35lb would be my first choice,awsome stuff and it floats which is a good thing if your dealing with large quantities of flat mono. Second choice is airflow 35lb MRM.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Have any of you guys tried Frog Hair shooting line?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be fishing with sink 3/4 or 4/5 powerhead tapers and am only interested in distance rather than fishability and was looking for something in 0.30 to 0.35 range.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
shooting line

hairyscotsman,Ive been fishing shooting heads for the past 7 years in the uk and have used. quite a few of both types of running line and shooting line.for both runnig line(fly line type) and shooting line(Mono type) I think the guys at LTS LOOP have the best lines on the market.It is more expensive than some of the others on the market,and will maybe give you a little extra distance,but is far superior to handle and fish with - the little extra cost is soon forgotten when you retrieve a lot of line and have to manage the loops absolutely no comparison in my opinion- alot less hassle with the LTS lines,just hold the loops in the bottom hand and watch it fly.hope this is of some use regards steve

·
Registered
224 Posts
MJC said:
Have any of you guys tried Frog Hair shooting line?
I haven't tried it personally, MJC, but heard or read somewhere (maybe here???) that it left much to be desired. If I remember correctly, tangling issues were common. Not sure if it was an attribute of all the sizes, however.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used the 50lb Frog Hair last spring with some shooting heads and really liked it. It did take about 15 minutes to get used to since it feels different than the SS and is not flat. However, it really shoots well and I never had any problems with tangling or hook-ups. When it is wet, it really feels smooth in the hand. On another board, some guys didn't like the amount of stretch that it has for saltwater hook-ups. I think it is an improvement over amnesia in terms of not needing as much management. I haven't done any rigourous 'testing' to see if it shoots better than other running lines, but it shoots plenty for me. I am someone who likes to try new lines constantly, so I will probably move on to play with something new. However, at 12 bucks a spool the froghair is worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ahhhh, that's right, it was stretch, not tangling, that was the problem. But that is inherent to pretty well all mono shooting lines isn't it? Anyway, sorry to mislead or misinform...

papenfus: How does the 50 lb. Frog Hair compare to 50 lb. SS in terms of thickness? And how are you rigging it? Thanks

G

·
I have been using shooting heads for 30 odd years, first used them in 1969 and discovered that no matter what mono it was, it sucks, absolutely. It stretches, which is terrible, it coils up which is worse and to get it to behave you have to par boil it and keep it wet after stretching the daylights out of it.
Over the years I've used a number of running lines, and graduated to a thing which is essentially 20lb gudebrod braided mono with a 30/50 GsP core. Its thin, doesn't stretch and is managable. A couple of years ago I got a spool of a test line made by Australian Monofil, it was 50lb GsP braid that had a 10lb mono core. That was magic. You could splice loops in it, no knots, it didn't stretch and the mono core kept it managable.Since then I have produced a running line made from hollow GsP, like Jerry brown and Power Pro. It has a mono core and is very thin, floats, has no stretch and doesn't get coiled or twisted.
These lines are about 0.022" in diameter, depends on the mono b/s and go through runners like grease.
A few years ago Berkley made UltraMax, it was a GsP braid with a mono core. I wonder why no-one wants to give it another try. From what I know of braiding, which isn't much if you can braid a hollow GsP line you can put a mono core in it. Australia Monofil did and its great. Maybe someone should get away from the mono culture and get modern, or real.
We have high modulus rods , no stretch backing lines and running lines that are as elastic as used chewing gum. Not terribly efficient, but thats Fly fishing all over.
Cheers MaxG.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't have any Slickshooter on hand right now, but i would venture a guess that it has between 75% to 90% of the SS thickness. It is almost identical to Amenesia in size and appearance. It definitely has less surface area than SS and it may have a 'slicker' coating which may contribute to less friction through the guides resulting in longer casts, but I doubt it makes much difference. I'd say give it a "shot" and I be curious to hear what others think in comparison to other mono running lines. I personaly would like to try one of the floating mono running lines. I think Guideline make something like that.

I have just been using perfection loops on both ends and had no problems, but then again I haven't yet hooked that leviathan that I am after.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Even Better

I have been a big fan of Guideline LRL for several years.

It just got better better.

They are rolling out a new version with a no stretch core and ribs on the coating. This one will shoot like crazy and still never tangle.

In addition, even thjough Leif told me they were not going to bring back the Braided stuff they just announced the release of Power Shoot, a braided running line like the first one they built years ago.

I will have both in my hands shortly and all are welcome to try them.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have complained about frog hair in the past. It does shoot but fishability leaves a lot to be desired. Too much stretch which is an important consideration if you are finding yourself fishing at extreme distance. Especially on fish like large stripers where driving the hook into them is important. I just was not willing to give up the hook setting power of the non stretch lines for the ability to maybe cast an extra 10 feet. I do like it for leader butts though. Nice having that color change on the leader butt.

The ribbed line sounds interesting as well as the new airflo ridge lines that shuld be coming out very soon. Have heard great things about the airflo lines that currently have this running line built in. Makes sense that decreasing the surface area of the running line touching your guides that shooting line should improve.

-sean

G

·
One of the factors that reduces casting distance is those ridiculous snake guides on fly rod, large and small. How come they are still in the system beats me.
If you reduce the number of runners and go to light bridge guides at modified spin spacings you remove most of the bad habits of running lines.
I built a Talon Graphite 15' Midgar blank with PacBay aluminium bridge guides and it certainly shifts a chunk of running line. I don't use mono, Amnesia whatever, but prefer to go to no stretch systems.
We have graphite high modulus rods, low inertia big reels with great drags plus those silly snake guides, GsP no stretch backing lines and then add running lines as stretchy as chewing gum. I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it, it doesn't really matter that you MIGHT lose a few feet, having a no stretch, very thin low drag running line is better than all of the mono or stretchy running lines made anywhere. After all it's supposed to be fishing, not casting. If it was all about casting you could use 2lb mono lines period. But its about catching fish and for that you need no stretch systems to get right at the fishes head. Not a lot of sense letting the fish get at yours.
Cheers maxG.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts