Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Question. Is anyone using a BB 300 grain or 400 grain 24' with a WC 9/10/11? How is the sink rate compared to the type 8 15' tip with the compensator? How are you casting this monster? My home river is gushing and I need to get down. That's right, getting down with brother lake run brown.

thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've used my BB's on a 8/9/10 WC with the middle and tip taken out. Once you get used to it, it's a bazooka. I prefer to overhead those big boys with the Rio Powerflex running line when I'm chasing Coho off the beach. With just the head and running line, I just roll cast a quickie to the front with my two hander and as soon as its straight, I flip it back behind me overhead and shoot that chunk of cable forward in one cast. They get down really quick. I usually prefer the intermediate Aqualux heads at 26 feet. They give me more time to change up or play with the retrieves. According to the 2003 Rio Catalogue, sink rates on the BB's are 5.5-200, 7.3-300, 8.4-400 and 9.0 i.p.s. for the 500 head.

Hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I use the 300 and 400 grain BB's on my

15' 9wt sage on the end of a cut back 10-11-12 WC (cut at 41'from the tip) and a 10-11 Aclrtr cut back just behind the 'hinge.' Both combo's work well.

Have used even heavier BB's on the 18 foot B and Walker (up to 600 grains) but really poops you out with that very long rod.

My impression is these tips work very much the same as the Tenney lines.
fae

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Big Boy Tips

Gary-

I spent 9 days fishing a 400 grain BigBoy during the course of this year, with a WC 9.10.11 body and a 14’ 9-weight rod. My opinion is the BB 400 grain 24-foot tip fishes a bit deeper than a tip 2 compensator plus a type 8 15-foot tip.

Re castability of BB 300 and BB 400
A WC 9.10.11 tip 2 compensator weighs 170 grains and tip 1 weighs 150 grains for a total of 320 grains. Replacing these two tips with a BB 300 makes a negligible 20 grain change in casting weight. Using a BB 400 increases body weight by 80 grains and loads the rod considerably deeper.

My best cast with the 400 is a snap-T, and successful casts were those in which I threw very vigorous [back] D-loops. Snake rolls were also OK but ugly when the BB lands flat! For all casts with a 14’ rod and BB 300 or 400 24-foot tips, the line must be roll cast to the surface before executing a cast. With a 16-foot rod a roll cast to the surface is not required prior to executing a snap-T.

A complete Rio spey line data sheet was emailed to you a few minutes ago to help you analyze the weight and length changes that take place when installing Big Boy tips.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Bob,

Would you be kind enough to email that data sheet to me also? Or is it the same data that you can pull up off the Rio site?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts