Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found little discussion here or elsewhere on wader bags. Presently I use 3 or more common 'sport' bags for waders/boots/vest/fleece etc. None fit their goods particularly well, usually require packing at time of departure as the bag is snug for it's contents.

I believe I want something simple I can just pick it up and a rod or two and throw in the vehicle and have what I need to go for the day. Not end up with 3 partially open packs at end of day wondering where I happened to pack that fly box this morning etc. Something I can leave my boots in for a bit if they're wet/waders can go into once dried for a day at home etc. Something more compatible for holding my gear so I don't unload my typical suitcase and then 3 or more bags at inlaws each trip :) The multi bags makes it that much easier to forget something and seem to take a lot more room than one proper bag would.

Been looking online (no chance lately to get to a not so local shop that might have some to look at). Abel has one that's survived well according to some feedback. Simms has their roll top dry bag. Heard it has limited pockets/separation and it's a dry bag - I don't need that as this is for garage or vehicle use. So dry bag could be a hindrance as I'd rather it breathed/held my boots/waders etc and if I don't take 'em out in an hour or two everything isn't humidity saturated (ie. reels/flies etc).

Found a deal on a WJ Wader Bag for $100, they make good gear so I assume it should be a good piece. Dimensions seem a bit larger than I need but no harm their for me. Very little feedback on these at all online. Anyone have any experience with this bag or another they liked? For $100 should be fine and if not can pass on locally via local buy/sell I suppose.

My trips are usually day trips but I'm planning to add more weekend and some longer trips.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use a 5-gallon bucket. Put my boots in heel-first, wad up my waders and shove them in on top, and go. When I get where I'm going, I dump everything on the ground, turn the bucket upside down and use the bucket as a seat. When I'm done I reverse the process. The bucket keeps everything in my rig from getting wet and also the gravel out as well. Since the top is open air can get into it in case you can't dump it out for a day or two so stuff doesn't mold.

Last time I checked 5-gallon buckets were slightly cheaper than an Abel wader bag, too.

For the vest and fleece you could use another bucket as well and be done with it. Personally, I just throw the stuff in the back of my rig it doesn't bother me to do that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input 7141. Sounds like that works great for you.

I'd end up with grit from boots in the bucket etc, transferring to fleece etc and have to unpack all items at end of day to reload the bucket. (or I'd end up bagging my boots as I do now) Bottom wouldn't breathe too much after I stuff all my stuff on top. I already use a rectangular rubber made similar on occasion but not my end all solution. (and have lots of buckets/they have many uses here! ) Be nice to be able to have some extra spools/tippet/spare reel already stashed in same single bag etc not exposed to grit along with extra shirt/pant. Somethings I can enjoy going cheap on and others I'll enjoy getting something more purposebuilt if it'll resolve some needs better. This is the latter.

·
Registered Potamophile
111 Posts
I have the ABEL Wader Bag

but I can't really recommend it for the routine fishing trips.

This bag is designed for airline travel to exotic destinations, but it doesn't really offer much to the angler who is just fishing out the back of the truck for a couple of days. The ventilated compartment in the bottom is ok for boots or waders, but not both. It gets gritty and grimey, so I hesitate to stick the waders in there. And I don't use that nylon carpet either.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Loon Outdoors

I bought a Loon Outdoors bag a couple of years ago. It lives in the back of my suv. It will hold everything, I mean everything you could possibly imagine needing. No matter where you plan on going, or what type of fly fishing you plan on doing. Well, allright, it won't take your rods, or your float tube.:D

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I prefer to keep my waders separate - I do use the Abel bag but usually use it for hauling clothes on extended trips. My gear I keep in an Action Packer type box - I can keep a reel bag, vest and lots of misc stuff in it and it can sit in the rain and keep everything dry.

I often carry two pair of waders in case I find a blackberry bush!! and have found the simms wader bag to be a great one for just waders

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=luggage&PROD.ID=21445

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use the Sage wader bag. Boots in one end and the waders in the other. Both ends are vented. Middle is big enought to hold anything I might need for the insulation or dry clothes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wader bag

I have the Simms and like it, but for quick in and outs while fishing from the car a plastic milk crate works great. Completely ventilated, throw the boots in, then the waders, and you can use it to sit on too. Doesn't keep the sand and gravel contained, but I usually have it on a piece of carpet that I also use to stand on when changing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You should really check out the Dan Bailey Ventilated Wader Bag(located in the Gear Bag section of thier website catalogue).They are only $30US and VERY nice quality with TONS of storage(FAR more storage than I expected).

I actually picked up one off EBay last year for under $20 and was absolutely thrilled with it.The quality is excellent and I can store my boots,waders,thick paded back support belt/wading belt,and gravel guards in it with room to spare.It has a main storage area,with a side pocket on the inside to help separate gear.This main area is completely vented along the top to help dry your gear out.It also has a good sized zip up storage area on the outside.

I HIGHLY recommend this wader bag.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I use a BW Sports Wet Change Mat for my boots and waders and a Patagonia Black Hole bag for everything else.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Love the 5gal bucket idea !! Very creative !! I use a large plastic storage container to keep fishing-trip stuff in (ready to go.just pick it up, throw in car,add rods and I'm driving away) and canoe/kayak waterproof bags to keep cameras, wet waders etc in. They come in all sizes and are less expensive than the flyfishing "genuine" articles.
Cheers

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I ended up with an extra recycle bin a few years ago and for local trips tot he river this is all I need. For longer trips I have used it as well and it saves trying to get my wet boots and waders packed up in a bag. For air travel, the wader bags are probably the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts