Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Was recently perusing posts from about 5 years ago and the 'spoonfly' reared it's ugly head. I had never heard of them before and did a bit of research. If there's a 'fly' that can entice a picky silver my interested is piqued. I know it's not a beautiful spey pattern or anything elegant, but there's a time and a place.

Are there anyone who has experience with these(if you're willing to admit it)and how do you make yours? I found an excellent page on a Texes flyfishing board that had very concise instructions. Appears they use them extesively for bonefish, redfish an other smaller saltwater species. Here's the URL.

http://nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html

I would think these could be a supurb fly for searun cutties and resident coho in the salt.

Comments or suggestions

Thanks, Nathan

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've used them on redfish but not with a spey rod. They work well and are fairly easy to cast. Never tried them for any other species.

I hear they work well when sprayed with shrimp oil or WD-40:hihi:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have sen and used them back in the day. But they are more of a pain to get exactly right for movement, they can twist your leader (even with a swivel) if the water is not right, and a rolled muddler, flash fly or small green wooly bugger w/copper bead works better. I have often out-fished gear guys with little flies. And I'm a bad caster. Also, I figured if I was going to start casting spoons I might as well go and get a spinning rod. I think the flies work better for coho/silvers and are more fun.

·
Double-handed Spey Freak
35 Posts
spoonfly

How is that fly going in the water, hookpoint up or down. I think on the URL that it goes like a clouser hookpoint up. I go to make a few in any case, for my seabass fishing in the Netherlands.
About Salmon I saw ones by John Norris(UK) the selling very little spoons there with only a little single hook behind it and specially for the fly rod. The use theme in the summer for seatrout and salmon. So there you are, fish theme with confidence and on the right dept.(tobies working very well on salmon but with a spinning rod ofcourse)

regards
Robert l.

Sorry for my english my dutch is better:hihi:

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Spoon Fly?

Spoonfly?
No.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts