Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saving my pennies for the longest trout rod I can find this one looks sweet.
Hope everyone is having a nice spring so far!!! I would love to hear any other recommendations too.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
919 Posts
It's a great rod ........ both Gary and Skeeter have this rod, hopefully they will jump in and give you their insight on it. I had wanted one from the first time I cast it. Dave

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
805 Posts
Hope they do chime in and tell us what lines they like, etc. Have been fascinated by this rod since Mr. M introduced, but have never cast it.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
I cast one a few weeks ago, interesting rod.
Made the guy a custom WA55 for it.
Another line that I'd like to try is the old SA nymph 8 wt line.
That was a good line for light long rods.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Voodoofly special

I'm sure Gary will chime in on this thread at some point, but here's my 2 cents. This is a phenomenally fun rod, for fishing as well as pure casting enjoyment!

This was my first Meiser build that I set my mind to after Gary was nice enough to let me borrow his for a few weeks. The first rig I tossed on it was the 350 gr AFS head with 10' Poly leaders. Sweet sweet sweet! Like Jamey mentioned in a previous post, this stick likes overhang. By the time Bob finished mine and sent it out I'd collected some 40+ lines in 9 wt F, I and S3. I never got around to trying the full sink on it as between the F and I heads with polys there was no need. These cast some surprisingly good sized tubes.

When I was talking to Steve and Bob before it was finished about lines, they both suggested a Vector 5/6. This also carried poly leaders well. 16-17' mono leader and a skater was an absolute hoot.

The last line I found was a CND GPS 5/6, and for me that was the best of all the lines I tried.

About the only thing I'd still like to try is one of Steve's super scandi heads on it.

As Bob said, "it's a very special rod". Get one, you'll love it!

Skeet

·
Registered
105 Posts
Next size up

I haven`t tried this rod, but I have inquired Bob about it. I own the next size up, a Highlander Classic 16 ft, 5-pce, 5/6/7. A niche rod that is a joy to cast and fish and the slowest of all the Highlanders I have tried. When conditions are right; summer, low and slow water, the tippet fresh and strong, I wouldn`t be nervous about an Atlantic Salmon at 25 lbs in the other end.

Lines that are good:
  • The SG scandi SH that came with the rod
  • Scandi SH at 400 grains +/- 25 grains
  • Ian Gordon short head 7/8, head about 70 ft and 485 grains.
  • CND GPS 7/8
  • NC FF70 6/7 and 7/8
  • Carron 55 8/9, may sound heavy but the head is below 500 grains. I cast this line sometimes on a powerful 11`7" #8/9 weight single hand rod.
  • Vector XL 5/6 (great single hand line) and 6/7
  • Single hand WF9 lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts