Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Echo TR5120 I choose a 360 Airflow Scandi Compact per Rajeff's line chart I had my first opportunity the other day to test it out. I added a 12’ versa leader and 5-6 foot of 10 lb level tippet and #4 Wolly bugger

I discovered that on most all my casts I was dumping the head into the water before the versaleader and tippet unrolled. I was performing single spey, snap T’s and circle spey casts. I felt very little if any load at all in the rod and confirmed I was not blowing my anchor

For the record I'm a 1 yr spey caster but try and work hard on my casting skills, I think I'm fair but could always be better. I also own Beulah 13’2 7 weight rod and when casting my 500 Tonic skagit or my 450 Elixir scandi they both load the rod to the butt and the head sings off the tip

I'm guessing the 360 compact is too light? Can anyone who owns or knows this rod confirm this or offer any insight? Rajeff list the grain window from 360-480 should I perhaps think of moving to a 460 Scandi Compact or even a 480 Skagit compact?

Also for the record I test casted a 390 Rage Compact. This was the older model when it was called tactical steelhead version. however I experienced a similar experience to the Scandi 360 with it as well.

All feedback welcomed and appreciated without me having to invest and test 5 separate line grain weights in Scandi or Skagit heads before I'm dialed into the right weight

Thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I've cast the TR and watched Steve Rajeff cast them in a parking lot. Wow!!! Ultimately you want to work towards casting within the recommendation . Meanwhile , loading up on grains will not hurt the rod and it can help to produce casts.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Just a thought, sounds like quite a bit of leader. Some of the Versi's can be considerable weight addition on light fine tipped heads. By your numbers were talking 17' - 18' total.. that's a lot of length. You might try some different options / lengths.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine feels best to me with an AirFlo Scandi Compact ST6/7 Floating - 420 Grains,32' and a 10' Floating PolyLeader. All wound on a US made Pflueger 1498 and what looks like 40# backing.

Use swinging streamers and spey flies on the Yellowstone and Madison.

The guy I bought it from liked a 6-7 Delta Spey line on it. I haven't tried that yet

Frankly I don't think neither he nor I use the proper scandi underhand technique.

I've also tried an SA Spey Scandi 390 gr. ST6 38' mid length head and an Airflow Tactical Skagit Compact 450gr, 22' shooting head.

YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I own that rod and some recommendations from my casting style.

Scandi lines with underhand power application,,, I much prefer 300gr lines.
Geater line speed helps with your early dumping of the head.
Try not using a Versaleader, this also adds about 60gr weight to the line,, lowers line speed.
Try a 14-16 ft tapered mono leader for efficient Scandi casting.

Echo line weight recommendations are rather on the heavy side of grain window,,, they work fine with Skagit lines however, for me are very heavy for efficient Scandi casting.

Borrow a lighter line and test cast for comparisin.

Very nice casting rod series for the cost.
I also have the TR 4120 and it likes 270gr Scandi.

Both of these rods really wake up with the new ultra short Trout Skagit lines from OPST & RIO.
These lines work great with Polyleaders or Versaleaders for smaller wet flies.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses I spoke to the good folks at Rajeff and they suggested that the 360 is a little light and recommended the 390 rage. They also suggested an 8 or 10' polyleader and 3-4 feet of level tippet. I'm going to put the 390 back on go to the shorter poly leader and tippet to see what happens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear the OPST commando head is awesome. The 300 grain is backordered however I do have an order in for one when they ship. Looking forward to trying. Whats a general rule of thumb for leader and tippet length I should be aiming for on this 12' rod with a 390 28' rage head?

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I like using Polys too, even on light heads, whenever possible. Your Versi could have been a bit weighty for a fine tipped head to turn over with ease.

If you'd like to stick with 10' try Airflo's "Trout Poly" a lighter core (15lb?) finer diameter and more supple. They turn over beautifully for me on heads down to 230 grain class.

I'm not familiar with the Rage head/s but 9' is typically the shortest leader I'll use on a floater or intermediate. Seldom go wrong matching leader to the rod length.. or 10' Poly and 4' or so of tippit. Just my personal program, others will likely vary.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Mike, the Tactical Steelhead is nothing like a Rage. Closer to a mini Delta. If the Tactical you were trying is a #5 it should have loaded the rod without much effort. 5 to 6 feet of tippet is a bit long, extremely tuff to turn over that much level line. Cut the tippet back to 3 feet max. 12 feet of rod, you should be able to cast most any type of line, from the Tactical to a Skagit head. When I first started fishing the trout two handers (10 years ago, Dec's Echo DH 4,5,and 6), there was definitely a new learning curve. I learned quickly fishing streamers put a strain on the 4 and 5 weight rods, so for the most part I stick to swing wet flies. Till you get it down I would stick with smaller flies. Think of it like fishing a 4 inch Intruder on a 7 weight. It can be done, but is is not optimal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts