Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a decent price (under $500) on a brand new Sage 7141-4, and went ahead and got one, since I already have a 9141-4 that I have liked a lot (that being said, it was kind of an impulse purchase).

However, given that the rods are the same length, and do not seem all that much different in weight, and also because I often see the same WC 8/9/10 line I am currently using with my 9141 being recommended for the 7141, I am now beginning to wonder if there is much point in owning both of these rods.

It may be a while before I have a chance to cast the 7141, and I was wondering if those who have used both find them to be different enough that it is worth having both for different situations?

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I don't own them, but in casting found the 7141 and 9141 to be one line weight apart (I like a deeper bend), as in:

7141: WC 8/9/10 and XLT 7/8
9141: WC 9/10/11 and XLT 8/9

if nothing else, they're certainly not the same

·
Registered
293 Posts
Since you already have both rods play around with the lines you're using. I think the 8/9/10 is "right on" for the 7141 and maybe you might be surprised by going up one line on your 9141 to a 9/10/11. They are both pretty darn stiff rods, for my taste I like slowing them down just a tad with a slightly "heavier" line and doing this also seems to "energize" them a bit as the heavier line draws on more power from the butt. I really like my 7141 and with the 8/9/10 WC it's my go-to rod for winter fishing in the lower 48 and BC in October. One advantage of the 7 over the 9 is when you have a 10-lb steelhead on you can feel the fish fight a little more than with the 9-wt.

I think with a little line experimentation you will find which rod(s) best suit your liking. Keep an open mind...you may actually find the 9-wt is the rod you want to dump, you may also find that you like them both enough to justify keeping them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will definately try the WC 8/9/10 on the 7141. If I like it (and it sounds like there is a good chance I am going to), I will probably go with a heavier line for my 9141, unless I decide to sell one rod or the other.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
I second the recommendation for the 9/10/11 on the 9141. That combo is effortless to cast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I beg to differ, Seth. Just pick a day and I'll show you that it takes considerable effort to cast as lousy as I do with a 9/10/11 wt line!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts