Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a reel to balance a 13' 7/8 weight Spey rod. I'm also in the market for a 10W saltwater fly reel. I'm trying to figure out if there's a saltwater reel with the right specs to do double duty on a steelhead river.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
PM Sent

Option included

·
Registered
917 Posts
I use my Danielssons, size 8twelve, or if you want a heavier one the HD version 9thirteen. Actually the spools of both of those are the same, only the frame/drag is different. Great reels for both uses. My tarpon reel is an HD11fourteen

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used a Nautilus NV 10/11 for stripers, and occasionally use it on my 13' 5/6/7 C, and 14' 8wt S Meiser. I use a Giga 8 spool for stripers, and the 10/11 spools for the two hand rods. It's been a workhorse reel the past 3 seasons.

briansII

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'm in the market for a reel to balance a 13' 7/8 weight Spey rod. I'm also in the market for a 10W saltwater fly reel. I'm trying to figure out if there's a saltwater reel with the right specs to do double duty on a steelhead river.
Hatch 7+. Perfect reel for a rod in the 13.5ft range. With the mid arbor spool, it's large enough backing for when you need to tackle larger saltwater species.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quite a few good reels mentioned. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
This works well especially if using short or perhaps mid-belly lines but if you want to use long bellies you may want two spools as typically once you install saltwater backing and a salt water line - if this fills to rim, the long belly won't fit. You might want to rig with backing and long belly line to fill spool but this may not give you enough backing when that big tarpon sucks in your fly and decides to vacate the area

·
Registered
678 Posts
I think there are lots of reels that can switch over. I use Islander FR and LX series reels on my spey rods, and I'm pretty sure those reels were designed for saltwater use, not spey.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do exactly what you are wanting to do with a Hatch 9+ they have the large and mid arbor spools which make it a super easy transition and they have some of the best customer service, up there with the likes of Echo i must say. Love Hatch and they take care of you man.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have been using 2 Tibor riptides for 15 years for permit and steelhead. They have been fabulous against 20 lb permit which will take you most of the way through 200 yes of backing before you get yourself ready for a fight. They hold up to salt water and I have never had to have either repaired or overhauled. I have used them in cold and snowy weather down to about 30F air temp but because they don't have a sealed drag they could freeze up. Great, dependable reels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts