Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full spey lines in sinking formats seems to be favored in Europe but all Euro lines are mostly 8 wt and above. I would like to give 500-575gr intermediate a shot for winter fish but having trouble finding anything. Im thinking some form of scandi or short belly but it must be a full line. I have OFLCD aka obsessive full line compulsive disorder. Whatever.. :chuckle:

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hardy Mach 7/8 intermediate tip... hmm...

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I don't know what happened to NC SalarFinder45. Used to be the one full-line sinker offered by NC and is no longer listed...

I have a Rio Accelerator 7/8 full sinker - bit of dinosaur - that Im saving for when I get NW again.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know what happened to NC SalarFinder45. Used to be the one full-line sinker offered by NC and is no longer listed...

I have a Rio Accelerator 7/8 full sinker - bit of dinosaur - that Im saving for when I get NW again.
I was very excited to try their lines but I was turned away because full length lines are no longer available from Nextcast. O.Seasons is listed on the web but I was told over the phone that full lines are out.

Back to the intermediate lines... That Hardy Mach seems like a very nice choice. Does anyone know if curent Mach lines are made by Airflo? Based on wuick look on their multitip version on google images it comes on Airflo spool and wallet.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Wulff Triangle Taper Spey lines were available in full Intermediate at one time.. not sure about now.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Have a trawl on UK eBay, there should be some available, Shakespeare Worcester lines (made in Redditch) were available as a short head #7/8 rating (the older UK rating, so probably a 6/7 by modern US standards) in intermediate & medium sink (possibly a fast sink as well?). These were full lines with an integrated running floating line & full intermediate or sinking heads, depending on the line chosen.

They were nice quality lines & handed well, you may still find a few available & they were heavily discounted (less than 50% RRP) to sell them off.

Also Rio made a fast intermediate (later re named as a Sink 2) Windcutter - but I'm not sure what weight these went down to.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Ian Gordon lines sold by Partridge are some that come to mind. They come in 65' heads with a total length of 120'.

Finding them in the states may be tough, have you tried Mike at the red shed?

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I was very excited to try their lines but I was turned away because full length lines are no longer available from Nextcast. O.Seasons is listed on the web but I was told over the phone that full lines are out.

Back to the intermediate lines... That Hardy Mach seems like a very nice choice. Does anyone know if curent Mach lines are made by Airflo? Based on wuick look on their multitip version on google images it comes on Airflo spool and wallet.
Ha- it's actually the O. Seasons I had in mind and not the SalarFinder - :eek:. SO they did away with full-lines nearly al-together?
The MachII are good lines also but I haven't cast the sinkers. All things equal though when in the air. The real beauty is the simplicity: A foot or two of heavy butt-section with whatever tippet and you're in business.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I have, and like, the above mentioned intermediate Wulff ambush line. Steve Godshall I know can make you an intermediate scandi head or w/integrated running line to match your rod. He did this for me very recently for shad fishing. You could contact him about it. I was pretty happy casting one of these with a heavy sink tip.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just bougt a scientific anglers ust. They have intermediat scandis in different "flavors" I bought a float hover intermediate, but they make intermediate and sinking combinations. Great line.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some suggestions

Carron 55 8/9. I don't have the intermediate, but the floater has a head of 56 feet and just under 500 grains. The 9/10 is 580 grains.
Snowbee 3 D. Heads of 51, 62 and 73 feet. The 8/9s are about 550 grains. They are good lines.
Partridge Ian Gordon short and mid head 7/8. The short head is almost 70 feet and about 580 grains. The Ian Gordon lines are good but discontinued. You will find some on ebay.co.uk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rio

Forgot this, but Rio made the Windcutter in full sink and intermediate versions. I don't know if they were sold in North America, but they were in Europe. They are found on the auction site sometimes. You would be looking for a 6/7/8 or 7/8/9.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts