Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Echo Ohs 10’4” 6wt, Rio Single handed Spey
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a #6 Echo OHS and i need some review, maybe some line recommendation, grains etc… or somebody that already has it could tell his experiencia, I cast it almost exclusively Two-handed
P.S: my goal is to reach maximum distance, preferably with a scandi head

·
Registered
329 Posts
I’ve spent a lot of time with the 8, mostly skagit though. I found Rio trout Spey for a 5 wt to be spot on for 2 hand. I’ve also used it with an 8wt Pike/Muskie line over hand casting. I liked the 8 so much I bought the 6 as well. So far Airflo scout @ 210, commando @ 275 ( better for tips) and Rio Trou Spey for 3 wt. I think the trout Spey is essentially the scandi body with an integrated running line. Look into the Trout Spey in a 3 as somewhere to start.

·
Banned
177 Posts
I've read on SP that some guys really like Rage heads on the OHS rods. Can't really call that a true scandi, but it will handle light tips and long leaders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve spent a lot of time with the 8, mostly skagit though. I found Rio trout Spey for a 5 wt to be spot on for 2 hand. I’ve also used it with an 8wt Pike/Muskie line over hand casting. I liked the 8 so much I bought the 6 as well. So far Airflo scout @ 210, commando @ 275 ( better for tips) and Rio Trou Spey for 3 wt. I think the trout Spey is essentially the scandi body with an integrated running line. Look into the Trout Spey in a 3 as somewhere to start.
thanks, this was very helpfull to me!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the 7 and like it a lot. For me using the two hand handle is a joke so I just run it as a single hander. I run a scout line and double haul type pull on a skagit style cast. I pretty much just run this in dirty water to fish in close so I'm throwing T7 max and a string leech. Also fun for for hitting little 5 cast buckets between runs.

If I wanted to cast a scandi I'd run more of a switch rod but this one definitely has a spot in my rotation for the above uses.

·
Leaking Wader
44 Posts
I got the 6wt and uploaded a short review on Youtube (see the text in the video detail. It's not much of a video..).

Lines I like on mine are
  • 250 grain Rio Skagit Trout Max (discontinued) with 15' Guideline 4D 9 gram tips
  • 250 grain custom cut Airflo Scandi Compact (about 22') with 10" polyleader
  • 250 grain SA Atlantic Salmon Short Scandi Heads (about 27')
Cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yardsale is using the rod as it was designed. I use mine mostly 2 handed, and it will bomb once you get dialed in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the 6wt and uploaded a short review on Youtube (see the text in the video detail. It's not much of a video..).

Lines I like on mine are
  • 250 grain Rio Skagit Trout Max (discontinued) with 15' Guideline 4D 9 gram tips
  • 250 grain custom cut Airflo Scandi Compact (about 22') with 10" polyleader
  • 250 grain SA Atlantic Salmon Short Scandi Heads (about 27')
Cheers
thanks!, very helpfull, do u think that maybe it would be too much to cast with 270 grains? (Thinking about SA Spey lite, maybe the skagit, now that I think about it, my fishing spots are really tight)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any thoughts on The SA spey lite? Some guy wanted to sell me a OPST But only 175 grains, maybe it’s too light, wdyt?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Echo recommends 190-210 grains for single hand Spey with a haul. I believe in the Jay Nicholas/Oregon fly fishing blog post referenced above, he was told by echo to bump 60 grains for 2 hand use. I find the scout 210 to work well for small flies with a poly leader, but not tips or weighted flies. Opst @ 275 throws 12’ t8 and weighted shanks. I think my happy place is the Rio skagit trout Spey 3wt @ 275 grains.
I think the Spey light @ 270 would be a near perfect match for my stroke.

·
Leaking Wader
44 Posts
thanks!, very helpfull, do u think that maybe it would be too much to cast with 270 grains? (Thinking about SA Spey lite, maybe the skagit, now that I think about it, my fishing spots are really tight)
I tried the 275 grain Rio Skagit Trout Max on it and felt it was little too heavy for me. It will cast it, if you slow down enough, and some folks may even prefer it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts