Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ll be in Sault St Marie near the end of July. I’d love to get out and swing a bit in the St Mary’s and I’m wondering if any Canadian Spey Pagers from the area may want to show me the ropes there. Not sure what the target species is that time of year so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,317 Posts
I'm hoping to head that direction for the first time this summer as well. That time of year there should be everything in there. Pinks, coho, chinook, atlantics and steelhead but it's going to depend on the flows. Need to find out what gates are open. I'll be watching this one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I made my first trip up there in the fall 2019, haven’t been back since but dream of it often. What a great place and fishery, you guys will love it! I’ll be watching this thread as well, something about swinging for salmon and steelhead in short sleeves just sounds right to me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Dan, I'm also thinking about going up this summer, and maybe again in the fall. I wish the border was open so I could go the US route from Windsor (shaves about 3.5 hours off the trip), but I think I may die waiting for that to happen...

Maybe we can arrange a weekend up there, a few (or bunch) of us? The last year or so, the rapids seem to be fishing very well, whereas many of the past several, wading outside the berm wasn't even an options, as too many gates were open.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There will be resident rainbows, big smallmouth, carp, and a few chinooks, but the bulk of fish will be Atlantics.
It can get pretty busy on weekends, so try to get some weekday fishing in.

I don't know what you want in regards to accommodations, but Bell's River campground is close enough to the rapids and gives you a better option for drinking and bonfires than what the hotels can offer.

I have caught them on an array of patterns, but baitfish patterns or flies that imitate a skittering caddis work wonders.

****A word of caution though... the river runs fast, cold and clear. if you don't watch your step your trip can go downhill quickly. Aluminum studs and a wading staff should be worn at all times. If you have a manual inflating pfd you'd be wise to wear it until you get a sense of where you can wade safely.

Enjoy!

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,317 Posts
Dan, I'm also thinking about going up this summer, and maybe again in the fall. I wish the border was open so I could go the US route from Windsor (shaves about 3.5 hours off the trip), but I think I may die waiting for that to happen...

Maybe we can arrange a weekend up there, a few (or bunch) of us? The last year or so, the rapids seem to be fishing very well, whereas many of the past several, wading outside the berm wasn't even an options, as too many gates were open.
I would love to set something up. I would prefer mid week though if it's possible just to avoid headaches.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Arranging something during the week shouldn't be a problem either. And the camp ground seems like a great idea...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would love to set something up. I would prefer mid week though if it's possible just to avoid headaches.
Yup go midweek! and try to be flexable and start watching the gates. when the time is near. Thats the best way imo

Ive been out to the sue twice. One bad and okay experience. Both times were a slight detour from business trips, so it was short. not my preferred 8 hour fishing day. The first time imo i had the wrong gear

I fish mostly short rods 10-12 feet with med-large patterns 2 -4 inches for steelhead almost never small then 2.5 ( i don't feel out fished by my friends much. i actually like low water, Maybe the one or two days a year where i truly cannot find a taker and my small fly buddies get the last laugh)

This was a total disaster for me. I was totally outfished by the other spey guy.

I learned quickly in the summer for atlantics. This is a great place for '' fine and far off'' fishing. the long rod,long head and like said above. small patterns like muddlers, very small baitfish flies, Caddis look alike. Being a good caster of a longer line i felt could make a true difference here. Note the rapids can change fast depending on what gates open. Im sure the short rod works fine many days. Some people i saw were nymphing a few up.. I just felt the classic swing water and the majority of the salmon were holding way like 100 feet on that day. wading was wild.

That said, I was able to nick 2 fall steelhead on the second trip. I did bring a longer rod, but used my regular flies as way more steelhead were in.

Recently ive decided to learn the long line or at minimum scandi for such salmon trips around canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts