Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Spey Rodders...

First, I am new to this board and very impressed with the willingness to share information about our passion...

OK,... I would like to know if any of you are fishing the Winston BIIx 14' 8/9... I see some thread about the 13' 8/9, but wanted to know how the 14' fishes... tips... grease-line... versatility... etc... what lines are you throwing on it?

Also, any suggestions on a nice light reel that will counter-balance this "lightweight" rod (7 3/4 ounces!!!)

Thank you in advance for your recommendations...

·
Registered
869 Posts
the 14 8/9 fishes well with a wc 9/10/11 believe it or not. it seems to load the middle of the rod better and release some hidden power. it throws tips well also, i have used 10 ft of t-14 and it handled it nicely. the rod has a light tip with a ton of power in the middle to butt sections. basically a traditional action and definitly feels like a winston. this rod still needs a fairly heavy reel to balance because of the length, i have used a ryall quick #10 (9.5 oz) and it was about right. i like a heavier reel so i don't have to hold up the rod tip when swinging, especially on longer rods. all in all very nice rods from winston, finialy.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I have the 14ft 8/9 Winston Boron IIx and find that it casts the 9/10 WC with 5ft Skagit Cheater and 15 foot tip of your choice very nicely indeed. Mark Bachman of The Fly Shop put me onto this combo. It also casts the SA XLT 8/9 beautifully if you would rather cast than strip line. I can tell you for a fact it does NOT cast the MidSpey 8/9 worth a darn.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
halcyon

no surprise that a rod casting the XLT 8/9 does not like an 8/9 midspey. That should take at least a 9/10 misdpey. The XLT weighs 990 grains for the head, the 8/9 midspey weighs only 640 grains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts