Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dana,

for what it's worth Sage's repair department has told me it is like a "big" 10151-4. I've had a number of conversations with the Sage repair department regarding the 10151 which folded in the butt again. They've told me I'll be taken care of in the same manner ask Kush was, I'll mention it if not! Anyway, I was told to think of a big 10151 which got me thinking two ways, sweet caster, enough $$ in shipping and repair handling to buy a new rod.

andre

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Andre,

That is an interesting comment. As you know I just finished my first Thompson season with my "green" 10151. I fished 1/2 the time with it and the rest with my "old" 10160. My immediate comment was that the new 10151 cast very much like the "old 10160! In fact I think I prefer the 10160 for its extra foot of line control. For what it is worth I don't think the new 10151 is anywhere near as sweet a casting rod as the old one. But, and it is a large BUT, it is stiil in the regulation 4 pieces - that is a good thing!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kush, Mine is back at Sage again. First fifteen minutes after the last fix, It felt five was better than four (pieces). Well I was told I would be getting a replacment (again). We will see, if not I guess they will have if back again soon.

andre

At least I won't bring it to Miami in March... Speaking of Miami Juro, any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only had the chance to fish it one time last fall. It did pretty much everything you would expect from a big rod. The only problem I had was that it didn't balance out well with my reel, and by the end of the day I was really working hard to keep the tip up. I would rate it as a good rod, but probably more of a rod than you would need on most waters. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to save for a week on the Lower Scone beat of the Tay.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
On the new 15'1": I fished mine very hard last year and never had a problem. Like Tyler I feel that it casts a tad shorter than the old brown one, but the overall feel is great.
I will get my hands on the new 16 soon - and will let you know. I love the longer rods and hopes this is smooth enough for floating line and long thin leaders.

"Tight loops"

Per

PS.Ray your totonto/inverness/kola/kamchatka plot is great! DS

·
Registered
4 Posts
New 16ft Z-Axis Sage

Yes, I have the new 16ft sage and fished it at the Thompson last year extensively. I am not happy with it. It lacks the power to lift a long line against the current in the Thompson. In fact my 15 ft Sage does a much better job of it. I used to have the old 3pc 16ft Sage wich was really my favorite rod for large rivers and I bought the Axis in the hope to replace it. Frankly, I am quite disappointed. My casting style is along the Grant F. method (old fashion Spay casting).
The new 16 ft may be just fine for the more modern casting methods like shooting lines and so forth, but for an old time like myself its useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts