Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best and worst of times - my wife is threatening to take me to Kauai for my birthday in late Sept, but would prefer that I “not spend all my time fishing”. I don’t know what she means...

I do have a couple of questions for those of you familiar with the island. I hope to do one guided day, and the rest would be some DIY fly / light spin on the beaches when I’m allowed.. I’ll take variety over just chasing bonefish anytime.

First question, what part of the island would Head to? We’re doing it AirBNB style, and there are good deals all along the coast, from Princeville to the southwest side of the island. Second, anyone have any suggestion on guides? Thanks!

Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,335 Posts
Don’t know anything about the fishing - I was there for a science conference and then stayed another week. But while the whole island is gorgeous, I personally liked the north coast best. The further you go toward the end of the road, the more isolated it feels. If you can find a b&b there it might go a long way in compensating you wife for the fishing time. :). Great scenery and beaches there.

The preserve up in the mountains is not to be missed - a very unique ecosystem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I used to visit the island a bunch. Got married there. So, I know it a little bit, but not for the fishing. A lot has changed over the years. It is much more touristed, now. If you want some touristy, hiking type of info, and some beach info, send me a PM. But, I can't help with the fishing part.

Check into the regulations, though, before you book anything. I believe they still have a very strict 14 day quarantine happening.

"I don't know what she means..." - Classic.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only guide that I know of on Kauai is Rob Arita, he's great and was a die hard steelhead fisherman back in the day. The main place for bonefish is Anini Beach, you'll need to check the tides and you want to fish the morning before people show up. September is a great time to go, I like the north shore the best, Princeville and Hanalei have many rentals. I think the road up to the Na Pali cost may be closed now except for local traffic. The southern part of the island is much drier and has nice beaches but not as lush. It's a small enough island that you can explore any end of it in a day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I’d seen Rob Arita’s info on the interwebs, and he seemed the best of the three Kauai guides. Appreciate the confirmation.

We’re tossed up between stying on the east side (Kapaa) as a central location vs. Princeville, which has better pricing and better cancellation rules (which is a concern now, unfortunately). Do you veterans have any thoughts? Thanks!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,118 Posts
Was visiting with Derek Bachmann at Sandy Spey Clave several years ago, and he mentioned that he was fishing bonefish over there. This is the last email I've got for him, but you might also check with his father, Mark.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Good luck, on both fronts! :wink2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts