Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been checking this reel out quite a bit. It is essentially an England-built Lightweight with a vented spool and frame. It also sports dual line guards and a palmable rim.

Hardy Duchess

Looks a wee bit like the old Orvis CFO Hardy used to make.

I think the 4" model might make a good reel for one of the lighter spey rods that are coming out recently, like the Sage ONE. It seems to fit in between the Marquis No.1 and No. 2 in terms of diameter but is the equal of the No.1 in weight and the No. 2 in capacity.

Of course, the smaller versions look great for single-hand trout rods.

I am a huge Hardy fan and prefer a clicker check on all my reels so this has my interest. Anybody tried one of these out? Any reviews?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=151658

Odd part was if you use the search funtion above you (for me anyway) get zip. If you type in Hardy Dutchess fly reel you get popped out to what looks like a Google search page.

Go figure?

fae
Thanks for the link but I had seen that thread before posting this, and it doesn't answer any of the questions posed here. The thread that is referenced only provides speculation about a reel none of the posters had used or even seen. I'd like some commentary and/or reviews from those who have used it, if that is possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This reel is quite new so the users may be far between.

For Jolies go to the Hardy web site (Dutchess one will do) and click on 'Dealers.' Gives you a map of North America and shift the picture around and pull up a dealer (or two) and give them a call.

If they're selling same they may be able to provide additional information. What's in the Hardy site really doesn't tell you much other than a general overview.

·
Registered
149 Posts
4" Hardy Duchess

I have them in stock at my shop. To me they look and feel like an updated Sage 500 series reel. Which was made by Hardy. The Spit frame with dual line guards is a nice touch.
All Good Things,
Gary Anderson

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all. I was hoping someone had been able to fish with one of the reels and give a report.

I have checked with all the local dealers in my area and none are currently stocking the reel. Perhaps I'll just buy one and give it a thorough testing myself. :hihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts