Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on Newest Hardy Bougle' and Perfect reels? I have one of each, plus a spare spool for each. I've lost retraining screws from both reels (I reel left-handed) and then once the entire spool fell out. Also, when I switch spools, I find it hard to get the spool being put on cinched up tight enough to avoid the spool to wobble slightly.

Anyone else with the problem and/or solutions to share?

·
Fishes with Wolves
397 Posts
Being a left hand winder you are always going to have to watch that screw with Hardy reels. It's not exactly a perfect engineering solution to the plate wind reel. Pun intended.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Somebody correct me if this is a bad idea, but how about rubbing some paraffin or beeswax on the screw threads? I think it might prevent the screw from backing out during fishing, but still allow normal takedown, without resorting to a hard threadlocker like Loctite. I would also think the paraffin or beeswax would be safe for the finish on your reel. I have no idea about the spool wobble as I don't own a plate winder... yet. Hope this helps!

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
personally I'd employ a deft hand and some loctite, mate.
the alternative scenario of losing the screw in the field/on a fish is heartbreaking... but I understand this doesn't help with spool changes...

cheers,
shawn

note: and you can break loctite... it will break down.
if you check the screw before you head out eventually you will know when it's failed.
give it a good turn, mate. and check it well.
when it does finally give note how long it lasted... and you could use this as a gauge.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Humpty nailed it.

That said....

Gee guys. I never had a problem with screws falling out of my Pflueger Medalist reels (1495, 1498) back in the day. What is wrong with your British equipment?

Might be better off buying a Scandinavian reel.

Reactions: Llandogo

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
Yes get the BLUE locktite. I use it all the time on glasses. It is a removable strength.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
perhaps the red here isn't as red as the blue is in america.

either that or I am a superman. (note: I did have my suspicions.)

cheers,
shazam!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow. How about rainbow loctite so no color of loctite feels left out? I would AVOID an actual threadlocker of any type until someone can help you with that spool wobble. Maybe call/email hardy? I seem to remember reading a thread about problems with these screws here at SP... Something about them snapping?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Blue loctite is a good choice. For small machine screws loctite has a purple version that is intended to hold small fasteners but allow easy removal. In a pinch clear nail polish works.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It has been a while since I checked this thread. Thanks for the input. For now, I'm using small, thin nylon washers to put more pressure on the whole ensemble. It helps, but, the real problem seems to lie in once removed the lock screw doesn't seem to ever go back as tightly as it once was. On both the Bougle' and the Perfect, the original spool had no wobble, but once I changed spools, both spools now wobble when reassembled. I think I'll call Fred Archuleta on Monday and see what he has to say. When I first got the Bougle', I did break the first lock screw by over tightening it (turned it the wrong way). But, when I got the replacement lock screw it was OK until I got the extra spool.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I guess I've been pretty lucky.........so far. I have a few Perfects and one Bougle and have never ran into that issue. I'm going to start checking from now on, though. No wobble in any of my Hardy's, either.
I'd give Bill a call, for sure

·
Registered
440 Posts
Perhaps unrelated and a mile off your thread subject, but I have a Scientific Anglers Mastery reel- which is a Hardy made item. Couple of weeks ago it started making noises like there was grit in it.Now I try to be very very careful with my kit and despite cleaning I couldn't see anything at all.The noise got worse and worse and eventually the function of the reel started to be affected and it got to the point it was becoming hard to retrieve or pay out line from the reel.
Now being a UK resident and its a long time since the reels went out of production/general retail sale, I thought best to try a little DIY surgery.Turns out the spindle had come ever so slightly loose!.So strip down, de-grease, apply loctite and re-assemble and re- lubricate and job done.
Just a thought in that it may not be the screw thats the actual problem thats all.If you've the time and patience it may well be a home servicing issue!.
Best of luck,Yorkie.

·
Fishes with Wolves
397 Posts
This "screw" problem was solved back in the 1920s by another manufacturer. The spool, plate and screw all turn as a unit. Hardy could do it also, but that would be like admitting defeat. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts